Scratched Exo after a molt?

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Drakezilla

Scratched Exo after a molt?

Post by Drakezilla » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:45 pm

Hey guys!
This has been bothering me for a little bit; A few weeks ago, my now jumbo hermit crab came up from a 3 month molt. He looks huge and super colorful! But there are what look like scratches/weaker layers of Exo on a few of his legs and his BP. This molt was by far his shortest on time and biggest growth spurt ever! But I'd like to know how he got scratches.

He's in a tank alone so there's no way it was an attack. Is there something he's not getting enough of or could he have hurt himself under ground? He's acting like himself, he's as out going and sweet as ever. Will the Exo just build back up on his next molt? It doesn't look serious, just like when you get a hang nail - that new layer of skin below? That's sorta what it looks like. I'll try to get a pic if need be! I'm sure I'm just being over protective.

Thanks!
-:- -:- -:- / / / -:- -:- -:-
Cᴜʀʀᴇɴᴛʟʏ;
{ 01 } PP; Cᴀᴘ ( 10 /13/15 ) **Looking for a new home in Tampa, Florida**

MuseCrazy

Re: Scratched Exo after a molt?

Post by MuseCrazy » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:41 pm

He probably just hurt himself underground. The molting cave could have collapsed before he hardened completely.

Topic author
Drakezilla

Post by Drakezilla » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:32 am

MuseCrazy wrote:He probably just hurt himself underground. The molting cave could have collapsed before he hardened completely.
Ah crap -- I was afraid of that. The sand did dry out while I was sick -- that's probably what happened. He hasn't tried to go back under though, even though the sand is back to the right consistency and has switched back from the turbo he molts in ( it's sooo small on him! ) to his favorite pink murex.
So, he's okay then, I'm guessing?
Cᴜʀʀᴇɴᴛʟʏ;

MuseCrazy

Post by MuseCrazy » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:49 am

Yup he should be fine just feed some protein and extra calcium in case he goes for a back to back molt.

Topic author
Drakezilla

Post by Drakezilla » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:55 am

MuseCrazy wrote:Yup he should be fine just feed some protein and extra calcium in case he goes for a back to back molt.
I considered that! And he got a lot of high protein/calcium the first two weeks he was back up, he's got a cuttlebone in the tank with him, but I'll make sure he's got more in his dinners. Thanks! Image
Cᴜʀʀᴇɴᴛʟʏ;