Lost another one

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
KellyCrabbieLove

Lost another one

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:58 pm

When I emptied out my tank the other day to save Godzilla and replace the false bottom I had a crab surface molt in the holding container. I hadn't named the crab because it never came out for me so I couldn't get a gender. He (guess) had hardened up and had been up and going back in the main tank. This was his first molt with me and being a surface molt I was worried. He had been fine in the main tank but started acting strange. He kept staying in the same place in weird positions such as his shell up on one side only propped on something.

Fast forward.

Today when I came downstairs for the day and did my usual first thing in the morning tank check I found a completely trashed tank. Even the moss pit had been ripped off the wall! When I got in the tank to fix it I needed to move something and therefore him to fix the moss pit. When I picked him up a sudden wave of dead fish smell hit me. He had dropped all of his legs and what was left was all dried up. I was so upset and disturbed at that image.

When Berry surface molted he turned out fine and this guy seemed ok. Hera seems fine but remains in iso for now. She went through a real ordeal. Phteven II was soft when I dug him up but was happy and energetic climbing all over me a few days later when he was returned to the main tank.

It sucks not knowing if they will be ok.
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

MuseCrazy

Re: Lost another one

Post by MuseCrazy » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:13 pm

Sorry to hear about that :/ Sometimes they just don't have enough energy to make it, especially during a surface molt. Your other guys should pull through!

Topic author
KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:35 pm

Thanks. I sure hope so!

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:05 pm

Sorry for your loss, Kelly.

Crabbers unite!!!

Topic author
KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:17 pm

Thanks. It has just been a real stellar week... (sarcasm) Hopefully I can make it through the rest of the week without any other issues.