Feeling confused

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Cutepetgroomer

Feeling confused

Post by Cutepetgroomer » Sat May 30, 2015 12:36 am

So for as long as I have had Camo my smallest he hasn't molted at all he's in need of a good molt. I think he's been trying to but Hermy , my biggest, has been bullying him lately.. What should I do?

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Feeling confused

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat May 30, 2015 12:53 am

What has Hermy been trying to do? Are you sure you're not misreading signs of dominance displays - or crabs just being crabs? How long has Camo gone without a moult for?

If you feel super worried, it might be worth ISO'ing him and seeing if that gets him going.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
Cutepetgroomer

Post by Cutepetgroomer » Sat May 30, 2015 2:05 am

Hermy has lifted Camo out of the way.. And recently broke off part of camo's small pincher. I have had Camo about two months now.. I know I can isolate camo no problem just a matter of making sure the ISO tank matches heat and humidty ..

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat May 30, 2015 8:08 pm

Hmm... Is there places in the tank where Camo could hide out and get away from the big guys? Also, how long have you had the two together?
It's probably a good idea to fill out this template (which I probably should of got you to fill out before; sorry about that) and see if there's any "problems" which might of caused Hermy to go into animal mode.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
Cutepetgroomer

Post by Cutepetgroomer » Sun May 31, 2015 12:43 am

Having a hard time with the template .. Anyways I have a 20 long . Wire mesh lid covered with Saran wrap, a small uth and light bulbs as heat sources, I've got three purple pinchers total. Hermy is golfball size and tiger being half his size and Camo being half the size of tiger . I've got several hiding places including three different hides, some climbing vines that are together . There's fake plants to offer some privacy as well.. I have some breeder grass in the wire mesh that they like to chill out in on occasion. Their diet is varied . The substrate is exo earth and sand at the right ratio. They've got water dishes where Hermy can submerge if he wants ... With ways to get in and out . Temperature in the day : today was 82 f right now 78 f humidty on the high side right now but usually at 80 I've had Hermy since November ; acquired tiger in January and Camo two months ago. I always have shells for the three of them available through out the crabitat. .. Hermy broke off camo's small pincher but has also moved him out of the way for food.. Tiger is under right now but will bully Hermy right back. Hermy and tiger recently changed shells .. Tiger is in Hermys old shell ..