A shell-less molt?

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Allyb01

A shell-less molt?

Post by Allyb01 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:37 pm

Today when I came up to go to bed I was going to measure the size of whatever hermie was above ground. When I went to look in, I realized that one of my tinies, Nugget, had dug down without the shell he was in earlier. I don't know if he has dug down naked to molt or he chose a shell much too big for him to dig down and molt in. All the shells that are his size are above ground but I think one of the shells I have for one of my larger crabs in gone. I'm not sure however. Help anyone as to what might have happened? I'm not worried, just a little confused!Image

Proud owner of 5 PPs,Twinkie, Tweedles, Tiny, Nugget, and Squidgy. :)
R.I.P Bumbie :(

soilentgringa

Re: A shell-less molt?

Post by soilentgringa » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:31 pm

If you are missing both a shell and a crab it is very likely that he switched before going down to molt.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

meg_and_the_zoo

Post by meg_and_the_zoo » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:09 pm

Awww...you have a Nugget too? That's what I named my newest and teeniest adoptee...seemed so perfect

Lover of all things critter (except bugs and birds )

Topic author
Allyb01

Post by Allyb01 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:11 pm

meg_and_the_zoo wrote:Awww...you have a Nugget too? That's what I named my newest and teeniest adoptee...seemed so perfect ImageImage

Lover of all things critter (except bugs and birds Image)
Yes I do. Image His little legs seemed so skinny and small that I thought the name Nugget fit him perfectly!Image

meg_and_the_zoo

Post by meg_and_the_zoo » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:17 pm

I swear if I could find all midget crabs I would...they're so cute! Here's my Nugget. For a little dude he's awfully brave and has been everywhere in the tank even if it means going up and over the other guys in his way Image

Lover of all things critter (except bugs and birds Image)

Topic author
Allyb01

Post by Allyb01 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:56 am

Awe! So cute! I will show you a pic of my Nugget once he comes back up!!

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:56 am

soilentgringa wrote:If you are missing both a shell and a crab it is very likely that he switched before going down to molt.
I agree. It's not unusual for them to switch into a too large (or sometimes even too small) shell just before digging down to molt. I've had crabs put on ridiculously too big shells only to dig down a few days later. They come up fitting in that shell really well. So the too big shell may be in preparation for a growth spurt. :D

Topic author
Allyb01

Post by Allyb01 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:02 am

CallaLily wrote: I agree. It's not unusual for them to switch into a too large (or sometimes even too small) shell just before digging down to molt. I've had crabs put on ridiculously too big shells only to dig down a few days later. They come up fitting in that shell really well. So the too big shell may be in preparation for a growth spurt. :D
Thank you. I have identified the shell he took with him. I was thinking about it all night and it just popped into my head! I was like, "aaaah! That's the one!" It's a mother of pearl turbo shell that my crab Bumbie was using when he passed away on Tuesday. It was boiled and everything! Just put it into the tank actually.