My hermie is down but not out

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Delmegandust

My hermie is down but not out

Post by Delmegandust » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:03 am

I have two hermit crabs.one I've had for 1 month and one i just got 2 weeks ago.I've got their habitat successfully set up and I'm giving them the right diet and supplements.the newest one I got at petsmart and it seemed he wasnt too healthy.he's buried himself and at first i thought he was molting.he hasn't come out at all. And i don't hear any movement.I'm a worrier anyways so....now my other hermit has gone down. her I'm more confident about because she seems healthy active and well fed and showed the signs of molting unlike my other one.so i guess my question is how long do they stay under before i should worry and are they supposed to come out after they go down to molt at least for water or food? Thanks

MsWorld

Re: My hermie is down but not out

Post by MsWorld » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:15 am

It's okay to worry. We all were in your position at one time. Some crabs especially the ones from PetSmart will sometimes go down to de stress. Because of what they've been thru. Some times for days even weeks. It's never a good idea to dig up a crab. Depending on the size/age some crabs can go down for a molt for months. The older/bigger ones can go down for 6 months or longer. The longest one for me has been 10 weeks. The shortest one was a week but she was a brand new baby.

They will not come out to eat or drink if they are de stressing or molting.

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:16 am

Would you mind filling this out?

http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... hp?t=46102

The questions will help address any issues in your crabitat.

Sent from my LGLS665 using Tapatalk

isadoraisacat

Post by isadoraisacat » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:18 am

My one crab kiwi has been down for almost 2 months now i had to dig him due to emergcy and advise on here he's still weak and working though recooping from a molt. My one crab mango just came up today from a molt after 1 month. And i have 2 down now plus kiwi i know how it is. Just be patient and trust nature and trust them. It's really a hard thing to do and of course you worry. I have had 3 successful molts so far and each one makes me feel less and less nervous about it

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

Topic author
Delmegandust

Post by Delmegandust » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:36 am

Thanks.i know I'm a worrier but I'm glad there is a place to go to reassure myself I'm doing the right thing.i figured they wouldn't go down unless the crabitat was suitable.they are as big if not bigger than a golf ball, shell and all.if they haven't come up in 3-4months then I'll worry.