Molting in the Moss Pit

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
MrTeacherDude

Molting in the Moss Pit

Post by MrTeacherDude » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:02 am

So, my biggest PP decided he wanted to go under the moss pit. He usually goes in and out each night and settles in his rock around 8:00 am when my light comes on, but hasn't come up in a few days. I know he's alive because the moss is always shuffled and pieces are in the main sub and there's always fresh bits of food in the moss. Could he be preparing to molt in the moss pit and should I let him do that? I can certainly close him off from the rest of the tank that way, but is that an ok place for him to molt?

Topic author
MrTeacherDude

Re: Molting in the Moss Pit

Post by MrTeacherDude » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:02 am

bbcraft22

Post by bbcraft22 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:38 am

If he digs there, he will probably be fine molting there.
"You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you." -Jon Bunyan

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:51 am

Some crabs just like to sleep in there, mine do so often buried just like that, also for days at times. He could be munching on moss, or coming out at night and going back before you get up. I know it has happened before (molting in a moss pit) but I think it's pretty rare. I had a similar concern once upon a time. He could be getting ready to go down, or just feeling lazy maybe. :) Obviosuly keep an eye out and if he starts shedding exo take action, as it would be easy for a tank mate to take advantage of the situation. Happy crabbing!

Sent from my VS880PP using Tapatalk

Topic author
MrTeacherDude

Post by MrTeacherDude » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:20 am

IF he decided he wanted to be difficult and molt there, I would simply remove the netting to get up and I would place his on food/water for him to survive and harden...

I hope he's just got the moss munchies...

Has another one who was about an inch down and decided, "nope, not burying today!" And turned back to his favorite hiding place...

MsWorld

Post by MsWorld » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:01 am

All of my crabs will sleep in the moss pit huddled together. It's so funny cuz you can see it tipping! I have one crab that only comes out of the moss pit about once a week.

Has this crab already molted?

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:36 pm

If he does, don't freak out. On another website I've met someone who's crab has successfully molted in a moss pit. Just be wary of other crabs.
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Merle, Seasalt, & Elvis
2 Captive Bred PPs = Randy & Roxie
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

Topic author
MrTeacherDude

Post by MrTeacherDude » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:41 pm

This crab molted about 8 months ago. So he is probably due for another molt. He was just moving the moss around a little bit and I heard him scraping the bottom of the shower caddy that I used. I ALMOST thought it was a chirp, but it was more Nail-Chalkboard sounding...

Topic author
MrTeacherDude

Post by MrTeacherDude » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:19 pm

Well...look who made a daytime appearance...

Albeit a short one...

https://vimeo.com/180226029

rainbow_crab

Post by rainbow_crab » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:49 pm

I have had several new adoptees molt in the moss pit. The only issue I had was that my shower caddies had grooved bottoms which affected the crabs exoskeletons. It caused grooves from the caddie to imprint on the crabs as it was hardening. It was not an issue for the crabs s health but did look weird. The next time a molt happened the imprints disappear ed. The only thing I worry about is how vulnerable iit makes them. Moss pits are popular places for crabs to congregate, which makes the crab an easy target. I think it'll be fine if you plan on restricting the others access.

Topic author
MrTeacherDude

Molting in the Moss Pit

Post by MrTeacherDude » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:49 pm

I didn't restrict it tonight because he was all over the place before I left. Almost like a kid crawling under a blanket fort...it was kind of funny, I couldn't see him but I could see the moss ride up from one end to the other almost like waves

KayedeeLove<3

Post by KayedeeLove<3 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:12 pm

I too have a moss pit crab lol!

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

Kkayp1961

Post by Kkayp1961 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:50 pm

I have that fear, ever since I put the moss pit in all 3 crabs hang out in it. One of them is starting to look a little grey and I'm afraid if it molts in the pit it might not survive. I thought I might take the pit out for a couple of days and see if he/she will dig into the sand. Any thoughts?

Jmc10129

Post by Jmc10129 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:05 pm

I just had one molt in the moss pit and didn't get bothered. One is buried and one was out. the second one that was out died sometime recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kkayp1961

Post by Kkayp1961 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:32 pm

I guess my concern it the fact that my pit is not flat like the ones iv'e seen online, it's a bubble vase stuffed with moss