Do you ISO a molter every time?

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
crabby_D

Do you ISO a molter every time?

Post by crabby_D » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:01 am

I ask because to be honest, I have never ISO'd a molter. I have a colony of 8 in two different tanks, and I've only had one issue with a molt and possible canibalism. I am pretty hands off with the colony in general... we know which ones are OK being handled and we occasionally take them out. The others we pretty much leave be.

I check on them visually several times each day, and I know who is up and who is down, have a good idea who is "napping" and who is actually molting. I always make sure there is plenty of food for them when someone is down, and offer shrimp and krill to "distract" them. :wink:

Is this the wrong way to handle a molt?

MsWorld

Re: Do you ISO a molter every time?

Post by MsWorld » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:42 am

I personally only iso a molter if I have a problem. I have 13 in a 65 gallon and have NEVER had a problem. All 13 have molted at least once and quite a few have already done their 2nd molt.

How deep is your substrate? If you have enough substrate then you should be okay to leave the molter alone.

GinkoCrab

Post by GinkoCrab » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:26 am

I only ISO a molter if they are streaking or surface molting, or if I notice other crabs have unusual interest in a molter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Topic author
crabby_D

Post by crabby_D » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:04 pm

GinkoCrab wrote:I only ISO a molter if they are streaking or surface molting, or if I notice other crabs have unusual interest in a molter.

My substrate is about 6.5 inches in most spots. Except for their "trails." :lol:
What does "unusual interest" look like? Would a crab ever dig to get to another molter and attack? :shock:
I get paranoid whenever a crab starts digging and I have someone down already. I am worried they have evil intentions and I get the urge to investigate, when they may really only be digging for normal crabby reasons. ? Am I overthinking it?
Last edited by crabby_D on Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GinkoCrab

Post by GinkoCrab » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:06 pm

crabby_D wrote:
GinkoCrab wrote:I only ISO a molter if they are streaking or surface molting, or if I notice other crabs have unusual interest in a molter.

My substrate is about 6.5 inches in most spots. Except for their "trails." Image
What does "unusual interest" look like? Would a crab ever dig to get to another molter and attack? :shock:
I've had some bullying happen in which case if I know the victim is about to molt I'll ISO him. I've also discovered crabs burrowed together, so I'll usually take precaution amd separate them.

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:54 pm

It isn't necessary to isolate a molter unless there is an emergency. Best to let them do what comes naturally.

Sent from my LGLS665 using Tapatalk

CrabMater

Post by CrabMater » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:30 pm

Im glad i read this. I feel if the tank conditions are optimal and food/resources are abundant, cannibalism should be minimal. I am hands off with my hermies. But they share our livingroom so we are always looking in on them. They don't seem to mind us. But it took about 3 months before the bonded pair felt comfortable enough to sleep out in the open. Our latest is a sleep hider. I hope he too will come to understand he will no longer have to be afraid around us.
I will not ISO a crab unless it is an emergency. I hope this is not a mistake.
CrabMater to 2PPs : John & Diana (formerly Cherry Bomb)
Crabbin' since June '16 (RIP Pinchy 7/16 / RIP Dean )

MORE SUBSTRATE!