2 down & 1 trying

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.
Post Reply
User avatar

Topic author
MadiCrab
Posts: 129
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:17 am
Location: Memphis, TN

2 down & 1 trying

Post by MadiCrab » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:16 am

I have w that have gone down in the last 2 weeks & one burning down in the same area as other 2!
Separate? Y'all probably know me by now I've been waiting & suspicious for a while. I have a 10 g & nervous they will run into each other!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 4633
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:12 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: 2 down & 1 trying

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:53 pm

10G tanks can be tricky. :)
I personally would just leave, as digging up the one that trying to dig down could result in digging up a moulting crab or collapse of the tunnel/cave of the crabitat. However, if the crab is on the surface, you could fence off the other two if you know exactly where they are.... But honestly, they might of buried down in that spot but made their "resting place" on the opposite side of the tank.

Have you thought about upgrading? (3 crabs in a 10g is tight, especially if they are medium and over)
Crabs || Fish || Shrimp || Snails || Plants || Insects

25G Nano Freshwater || 64G Freshwater Community || 90G Fancy Goldie Pond || 64G Crabitat
I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'... They're just things I forgot I had planned to get || Self Designated 'HCA Pic Fan' 2012+

User avatar

Topic author
MadiCrab
Posts: 129
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:17 am
Location: Memphis, TN

Re: 2 down & 1 trying

Post by MadiCrab » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:05 am

aussieJJDude wrote:10G tanks can be tricky. :)
I personally would just leave, as digging up the one that trying to dig down could result in digging up a moulting crab or collapse of the tunnel/cave of the crabitat. However, if the crab is on the surface, you could fence off the other two if you know exactly where they are.... But honestly, they might of buried down in that spot but made their "resting place" on the opposite side of the tank.

Have you thought about upgrading? (3 crabs in a 10g is tight, especially if they are medium and over)
Yes we are gonna upgrade soon. I hate this actually 15g. Found it on the street a while back.

So afraid they are going run into each other. I feel pretty certain the other 2 Imagedug down close


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 4633
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:12 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: 2 down & 1 trying

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:59 am

Well at least you managed to add an extra 5 gallons right? :lol: Glad to know its a 15, as they normally a bit more bigger - taller and wider from memory - so more substrate right?
Crabs || Fish || Shrimp || Snails || Plants || Insects

25G Nano Freshwater || 64G Freshwater Community || 90G Fancy Goldie Pond || 64G Crabitat
I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'... They're just things I forgot I had planned to get || Self Designated 'HCA Pic Fan' 2012+

User avatar

Topic author
MadiCrab
Posts: 129
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:17 am
Location: Memphis, TN

Re: 2 down & 1 trying

Post by MadiCrab » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:01 am

aussieJJDude wrote:Well at least you managed to add an extra 5 gallons right? :lol: Glad to know its a 15, as they normally a bit more bigger - taller and wider from memory - so more substrate right?
Yes. The one above started digging very close to where my other is. I picked him up but he's back over there when I went to bed Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar

Kermie16
Posts: 2269
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:13 am

Re: 2 down & 1 trying

Post by Kermie16 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:38 am

I would just stay positive about it and let them work it out. Remember they tunnel a lot even after digging down so even though they dig down in one spot, they will probably end up in different areas of the tank:)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar

Topic author
MadiCrab
Posts: 129
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:17 am
Location: Memphis, TN

Re: 2 down & 1 trying

Post by MadiCrab » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:10 am

Kermie16 wrote:I would just stay positive about it and let them work it out. Remember they tunnel a lot even after digging down so even though they dig down in one spot, they will probably end up in different areas of the tank:)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok. Gotcha. He dug down some looks like sand caves if that makes sense? I don't see the other one. Crossing fingers. This is 1st molt not to mention whole new experience w crabbing in itself. ImageImage
Thanks for input


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar

Kermie16
Posts: 2269
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:13 am

Re: 2 down & 1 trying

Post by Kermie16 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:40 am

Ur doing good MadiCrab! Isn't it funny how they can stress us out?! Hang in there:) Patience is key.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar

Topic author
MadiCrab
Posts: 129
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:17 am
Location: Memphis, TN

Re: 2 down & 1 trying

Post by MadiCrab » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:41 am

Kermie16 wrote:Ur doing good MadiCrab! Isn't it funny how they can stress us out?! Hang in there:) Patience is key.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes!!! Like my children lolImageImageImage TY


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Reply