Maybe Molting Mal

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
HeyItsEggs

Maybe Molting Mal

Post by HeyItsEggs » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:17 pm

Hi
I started freaking out today. I got up to check on the crabs and noticed something that scared the living daylights out of me. Malibu's shell was EMPTY. All of my shells that I have in the tank came from Etsy. I immediately looked up the pack of shells I got and checked to see if any of the shells in the tank were missing and THANK GOODNESS! There was in fact a shell missing. She is no where to be found so I believe she changed shells and went under to molt. We'll see.....
Sophia aka "Eggs"
Four PPs, Rio, Rolo, Curlz and Malibu in a 40 gallon
May they rest in peace- Mango- 1/13/17 and Stefanio- 1/10/17

NLindsey921

Re: Maybe Molting Mal

Post by NLindsey921 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:23 pm

She probably did. Or she could have gone down to destress. You just have to wait and see. But either way she is comfortable in your tank.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk
5pps: Jimbo, Tiny, Mr Krabs, Felicia, Sebastian

Emm33333

Post by Emm33333 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:49 pm

HeyItsEggs wrote:Hi
I started freaking out today. I got up to check on the crabs and noticed something that scared the living daylights out of me. Malibu's shell was EMPTY. All of my shells that I have in the tank came from Etsy. I immediately looked up the pack of shells I got and checked to see if any of the shells in the tank were missing and THANK GOODNESS! There was in fact a shell missing. She is no where to be found so I believe she changed shells and went under to molt. We'll see.....
The same thing happened to me!
From Emm
Happy Crabber since '16
2 PP's, CrabCakes and Odka (10g, 29g)
Soon to be owner of six adoptees and a 75g with all supplies!
Adoptees names! Bagel ( Big honkin Bagel aka BHB) Cece,Ebony,Mitzi,Rocco and Gwin

Topic author
HeyItsEggs

Post by HeyItsEggs » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:17 am

She went down.
I can't find her.
She is either destressing or molting.
Thanks guys
Sophia aka "Eggs"

Topic author
HeyItsEggs

Maybe Molting Mal

Post by HeyItsEggs » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:24 am

I am soooo confused!
I went to rearrange the tank and realized Mal was under the saltwater dish! I could see her and she was not covered by sand. I don't know if she is molting because she is uncovered. She hasn't come up for 8 days. Can they molt not completely covered?
Thanks
Sophia aka "Eggs"

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:15 am

They have been known to occasionally molt underneath water dishes or solid objects. Don't rebury her, just try to carefully replace the water dish if you can without crushing her. If not, and she's responsive- just leave her and she will likely dig under again. She could have just been hanging out down there. :)

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:08 pm

Mine like to hang out under the water dishes for a few days, then resurface. If they are digging down to molt or destress, they tunnel deeper into the substrate. I've never had one molt in a hole under the dishes, if that is any comfort to you.

(Have adopted over 50 crabs in three years so am going off of my experiences with multiple tanks of crabs :)

Topic author
HeyItsEggs

Post by HeyItsEggs » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:17 am

She came up last night. Rolo has been going under and coming back up every few hours. And when she does, she just disappears! I don't even see any divots or anything! But now all three are up and cuddling under the moss. SO CUTE!!!! I will be posting pics of my crabitat soon! And more pics of my crabs so keep your eyes peeled!!
Sophia aka "Eggs"