Baby crab molt.

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Highnmighty217

Baby crab molt.

Post by Highnmighty217 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:08 am

Just wondering if for a smaller crab this color post molt is normal? Will he have to molt again to get his colors back? Got some very hairy legs. He/she molted a good 2 1/2 months and was recently moved to larger tank where he stayed down for about a week and came up last night. Has ate a lot and lots of activity....but hasn't seemed to make his way to water pools yet, should I be concerned about that? Ever had crabs afraid go in large pools after being in small tank with small water bowls? Not freakin out just wondering...if you see anything out of norm let me know!! Thanks guys!!
ImageczImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Highnmighty217

Re: Baby crab molt.

Post by Highnmighty217 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:13 am

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:55 am

He is a cutie pie!! Congrats on his successful molt! He looks totally healthy and seems he is acting normal post molt as well:) Was this is first molt? Color changes can be very normal
after molts. I wouldn't be too concerned as he is acting normal and eating well. I haven't really had any crabs afraid to go in the pool but I have a couple of crabs that prefer to straddle the pool rather than get in (lol!). But because you're not seeing them get in the pool doesn't mean they aren't going or drinking -maybe they are going when ur a asleep - I have also seen my crabs drink droplets of water from the glass of the tank, on top of plastic plants in the tank, etc:) They will find and get what they need.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:26 am

Congrats on the successful molt! They acquire their colors through the foods they eat. He can darken over the next few days after coming up from a molt, so give him a few days :) they keep water in their shells, so he will get some when he is ready to. Don't worry! He looks healthy! :)

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Hermiearth

Post by Hermiearth » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:10 am

I have a tiny crab who came up after a long molt just the same color. It's totally normal and as Kermie said he could of gotten water when Yu weren't watching and even if not, it's not a worry.

Topic author
Highnmighty217

Post by Highnmighty217 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:43 am

He certainly gettin water by moss pit, I spray and he seems be drinking off the side of glass!! Lol glad to hear no not needing much! Now momma guilt of no fun things while he's up!

KayedeeLove<3

Post by KayedeeLove<3 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:34 pm

For color I use the color booster from hermies kitchen and all of my crabs are a deep red almost purple color.

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:27 am

So cute!! :hearts: I die.
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:11 am

It's definitely common for crabs to be lighter after their first molt, when they're in the pet store they barely get any nutrients and vitamins as is, let alone color boosting ones.
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Seasalt, & Elvis
Captive Bred PP = Randy
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/