Molt but no shells

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Molt but no shells

Post by Hermie escape artist » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:41 pm

Hi I read couple of forums ... I think mines is molting... I think he needs more substrate I read I can add more one inch a day ... not pat it down ... so I can just pour it on top even where the crab is under or should I skip that space wont cave in on him if he is down ....

Also dont have any shells out didnt think he would molt this fast ....
I can run to the store tomorrow and get diff size shells cause not positive if he is a medium or large... Maybe medium guess ..

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Molt but no shells

Post by curlysister » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:14 pm

Your crab has dug down into the substrate? How deep is it currently?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:06 pm

curlysister wrote:Your crab has dug down into the substrate? How deep is it currently?
He came up dug again came up ... he been up for a while now .. soooo ....

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:17 pm

Substrate should be wet enough to hold shape, like sand castle consistency. It should be at least 6 inches deep, or 3x as deep as your largest crab, whichever is deeper. Crabs don't always change shells as soon as they are up from a molt, but you should have a number of appropriate shells available.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:53 pm

Yea I need to go get that .. didnt cause he came up so quick ... in same day so .. I wanna add 2 more inches of sand ! And some shells
And ya sand is wet enough pretty sure

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:23 am

Sometimes they just dig to dig. Or perhaps he was destressing. I would take advantage of him being up to add up to your six inches/ 3x depth as stated above:) If you haven't had a chance to yet you should check out our care guides! viewtopic.php?f=51&t=92457 Make sure the sand you have is playsand and not calcium, or what the pet stores market as "hermit crab sand" as it can act as a cement onto a crabs abdomen. It can be found extremely cheap at homedepot for around 4 bucks. :) You can also find cocofiber (plantation soil) as a 3 pack for around 5 bucks as an add on item on amazon if you ever order from there.

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:57 am

Rawrgeous wrote:Sometimes they just dig to dig. Or perhaps he was destressing. I would take advantage of him being up to add up to your six inches/ 3x depth as stated above:) If you haven't had a chance to yet you should check out our care guides! viewtopic.php?f=51&t=92457 Make sure the sand you have is playsand and not calcium, or what the pet stores market as "hermit crab sand" as it can act as a cement onto a crabs abdomen. It can be found extremely cheap at homedepot for around 4 bucks. :) You can also find cocofiber (plantation soil) as a 3 pack for around 5 bucks as an add on item on amazon if you ever order from there.
Ya thanks I wanna get to a pet store and add sand I have the sand I need but more of the coconut fiber! To mix with it ! THANKS ! yes an di have the right sand been reading but thanks !!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk