Buckbeak’s Molt Cycle

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
crabby33

Buckbeak’s Molt Cycle

Post by crabby33 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:27 am

For five weeks straight I monitored Buckbeak’s molt cycle and at the beginning of week 6 he finally shed his exo. That has helped me to gain a better understanding of molting and why we never ever dig up crabs unless it’s an emergency. Buckbeak is still in the process of eating his exo skeleton and it’s very important he is not disturbed. He is most likely still prone to injury at this stage and may not be completely hardened. He will surface when he is finished with the process.

Hermiesguardian

Re: Buckbeak’s Molt Cycle

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:04 am

How do you see him?
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
crabby33

Post by crabby33 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:21 am

He left a window. I had a couple of books covering it and I would only check him once or twice a day with a flash light on my IPhone. On Sunday morning before I went to church, he was preparing to shed the old Exo skeleton so I put the books back for the darkness needed for shedding process to begin. I checked again later on, and he had shed the old exo skeleton! I was so excited!

Topic author
crabby33

Post by crabby33 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:34 am

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:48 am

Cool.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
crabby33

Post by crabby33 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:06 pm

Thank you! I found it is much more fun and interesting to watch the process this way than digging to see if the crab molted which can literally scare the crab to death. Watching them this way if one of them leaves a window, is much less stressful to the crab and I can see how long the process can take.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:22 pm

crabby33 wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:06 pm
Thank you! I found it is much more fun and interesting to watch the process this way than digging to see if the crab molted which can literally scare the crab to death. Watching them this way if one of them leaves a window, is much less stressful to the crab and I can see how long the process can take.

Definately!