Random Exo Pieces. Need help.

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Crabby Fritos

Random Exo Pieces. Need help.

Post by Crabby Fritos » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:13 am

Last night, I heard some serious clicking and clacking of shells. In the morning I found and empty shell and a crab on my net. I have a saran-covered net top and Cheeto was hanging from it. He has never done this. Later today, I discover my 2nd crab, Frito up there as well. I was expecting a bloodbath, and so I removed the large obstacles from my crabitat. Under a large fake shell, I discovered pieces of a shell. Fearing the worst, I checked all three of my crabs but all 18 front legs and claws were accounted for. I haven't found the entire molt, nor any larger pieces. Tito's old shell is still sitting there and nothing further has happened. There have been no additional fights and they are simply sitting in the fake coconut for now. Also, can someone tell me how to attach a pic?

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Random Exo Pieces. Need help.

Post by curlysister » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:40 am

Just to clarify a couple of things from your post:
Was the crab (Cheeto) on the net naked? If so, is he in a shell now?
Why were you expecting a blood bath?
Under the fake shell, there were pieces of exo, not shell, correct? Were they hollow?
You need to use TapaTalk to add a photo.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Crabby Fritos

Post by Crabby Fritos » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:49 pm

I was expecting them to be fighting and I was expecting them to be hurt, deshelled or worse. And no all of the had shells. There is a large purple claw, a large front walking claw and 3 smaller front appendages. (Not shell holding claws) all appear to be hollow

Topic author
Crabby Fritos

Found exo Parts

Post by Crabby Fritos » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:55 pm

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
I have a 10g tank and use EcoEarth for about 5 inches and calcium sand for 3. In th middle is a small strip of standard wood chip reptile bedding. It has created small pools of water. The substrate is approximately only twice the height of my biggest crab but I was planning on deepening it this weekend.

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
I use a ZooMed digital hygrometer and thermometer. It usually read 80℅ and it is usually 82°.

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
I used a heat Lamp on the top of my tank.

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
I use a ZooMed salt water and drinking water dechlorinator.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
I replace the food everyday. I feed them carrots, apples , honey and hardboiled egg.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
I have three crabs, Tito, Frito and Cheeto, they are all PPs. I have had them for about 2 months.

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?

No confirmed molt but I put a post in the Molt section.

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
They have a 10g glass tank with a netting lid that is covered with saran wrap. There is no hole.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
3 purple pinches. They are all different sizes. Two are small and one is medium. Except one of the small is snaller than the other.

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?
I keep about 3-4 shells in there.
11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
Nope

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
I spot clean everyday and deep clean sporadically depending on how dirty it is or other things. I am planning on deep cleaning tomorrow but

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
Yes. I have one sponge and I boil it in dechlorinated water.

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
No

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.
Last night, I heard some serious clicking and clacking of shells. In the morning I found and empty shell and a crab on my net. I have a saran-covered net top and Cheeto was hanging from it. He has never done this. Later today, I discover my 2nd crab, Frito up there as well. I was expecting a bloodbath, and so I removed the large obstacles from my crabitat. Under a large fake shell, I discovered pieces of a shell. Fearing the worst, I checked all three of my crabs but all 18 front legs and claws were accounted for. I haven't found the entire molt, nor any larger pieces. Tito's old shell is still sitting there and nothing further has happened. There have been no additional fights and they are simply walking around like normal.

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:00 pm

To upload pictures you need to download the Taptalk App from onto your phone. Once downloaded search for the Hermit Crab Association then log in as you would through the Taptalk App. I personally find the app difficult to navigate and use compared to the standard forums which I will log into through Chrome on my phone or laptop. I mainly use Taptalk for uploading pictures and PM's.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

crabby33

Post by crabby33 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:23 pm

I have a 10g tank and use EcoEarth for about 5 inches and calcium sand for 3. In th middle is a small strip of standard wood chip reptile bedding. It has created small pools of water. The substrate is approximately only twice the height of my biggest crab but I was planning on deepening it this weekend.

Crabby33:

First of all, Calcium sand is a big no no for hermit crabs. It’s not a safe sand and it’s expensive. Children’s play sand is cheaper and safer when mixed with Eco Earth. You need to remove the calcium sand and get play sand. Home Depot, Lowe’s, Walmart, and Ace Hardware all carry it. It can be bought for $5 for a 50 lb bag.

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
I use a ZooMed digital hygrometer and thermometer. It usually read 80℅ and it is usually 82°.

This forum does not recommend heat lamps. Most peoplep prefer to use UTHs. Placed on the back, not under. I use a heat pad for people, also placed on the back. This helps to heat the air in your tank, which is what you want. Never put it under the tank. Hermit crabs are obligate burrowers when they need to tunnel to make their molt caves.

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?

The ZooMed salt water and drinking water dechlorinators are not appropriate for hermits. It’s recommended to treat tap water with Prime for your fresh and salt water ponds.

I replace the food everyday. I feed them carrots, apples , honey and hardboiled egg.

You need a little bit more variety. My crabs love freeze dried insects like crickets and mealworms. Even canned grasshoppers will work. But also offer fruits, vegetables, seeds, nuts, etc.

I have three crabs, Tito, Frito and Cheeto, they are all PPs. I have had them for about 2 months.

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
They have a 10g glass tank with a netting lid that is covered with saran wrap. There is no hole.

This forum does not recommend a 10 gallon as a starter tank. 20 Gallons or bigger is what we recommend.

3 purple pinches. They are all different sizes. Two are small and one is medium. Except one of the small is snaller than the other.

This forum considers 3 crabs in a 10 Gallon tank overcrowded. I have 2 in a 20 and that is enough space for them to molt and grow.

You also need more shells. Since you have purple pinchers, turbos are the most recommended shells and you need 3-5 per crab, although there are exceptions. I have a PP crab that prefers D shaped openings and won’t wear turbos.

Nope

I spot clean everyday and deep clean sporadically depending on how dirty it is or other things. I am planning on deep cleaning tomorrow but

Just stick to the spot cleaning. This forum does not recommend deep cleans.

Ditch the sponge. Sponges are an old practice and are no longer recommended.

No

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

Last night, I heard some serious clicking and clacking of shells. In the morning I found and empty shell and a crab on my net. I have a saran-covered net top and Cheeto was hanging from it. He has never done this. Later today, I discover my 2nd crab, Frito up there as well. I was expecting a bloodbath, and so I removed the large obstacles from my crabitat. Under a large fake shell, I discovered pieces of a shell. Fearing the worst, I checked all three of my crabs but all 18 front legs and claws were accounted for. I haven't found the entire molt, nor any larger pieces. Tito's old shell is still sitting there and nothing further has happened. There have been no additional fights and they are simply walking around like normal.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:47 pm

It sounds like you found some pieces of exo that were not eaten after a molt. Don't panic. There are some things that can be improved in your tank though.
Great advice by Crabby33, just adding a few things to it as well:

Crabby33:

First of all, Calcium sand is a big no no for hermit crabs. It’s not a safe sand and it’s expensive. Children’s play sand is cheaper and safer when mixed with Eco Earth. You need to remove the calcium sand and get play sand. Home Depot, Lowe’s, Walmart, and Ace Hardware all carry it. It can be bought for $5 for a 50 lb bag.

Curly - Agree that the calcium sand needs to go; it becomes hard like cement when it is wet and can kill crabs. Many of us use a mixture of playsand and EE in a 5 to 1 ratio. It needs to be at least 6 inches, or three times as deep as your largest crab, whichever is deeper. It needs to be mixed with dechlorinated fresh or dechlorinated salt water so that it is 'sand castle' consistency, so it holds it's shape without being so wet that there are pools. I would do away with the wood chips completely

This forum does not recommend heat lamps. Most peoplep prefer to use UTHs. Placed on the back, not under. I use a heat pad for people, also placed on the back. This helps to heat the air in your tank, which is what you want. Never put it under the tank. Hermit crabs are obligate burrowers when they need to tunnel to make their molt caves.

The ZooMed salt water and drinking water dechlorinators are not appropriate for hermits. It’s recommended to treat tap water with Prime for your fresh and salt water ponds.

Curly -Unfortunately, lots of products that are labelled for hermit crabs actually aren't safe for them. As stated, most people use Prime to dechlorinate tap water. Marine salt then needs to be mixed in to create salt water, Instant OCean is the brand most of us use. Pools need to be deep enough for crabs to fully submerge, but there also needs to be a way for them to climb out (ie- ladders of plastic mesh or similar).

You need a little bit more variety. My crabs love freeze dried insects like crickets and mealworms. Even canned grasshoppers will work. But also offer fruits, vegetables, seeds, nuts, etc.

Curly - check out the posts that are 'pinned' to the top of the Food & Water section. They discuss a balanced and proper diet. Crabs need protein and a source of calcium every day.

This forum does not recommend a 10 gallon as a starter tank. 20 Gallons or bigger is what we recommend.

Curly - a ten gallon can work, depending on the size of the crabs and how many. Here is the HCA Tank size and Crab Size guide:
http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 26&t=92541

This forum considers 3 crabs in a 10 Gallon tank overcrowded. I have 2 in a 20 and that is enough space for them to molt and grow.

You also need more shells. Since you have purple pinchers, turbos are the most recommended shells and you need 3-5 per crab, although there are exceptions. I have a PP crab that prefers D shaped openings and won’t wear turbos.

Nope

Curly - Only spot cleaning the poop and bits of food that get dragged around the tank is needed with proper substrate. However, it might not be a bad idea for you to remove all the substrate in your tank and replace it with proper sub, given that there is calcium sand in it. Then after that, you won't ever need to remove and replace all of it. I have had my crabs for 8+ years, and have upgraded tanks twice, and have never thrown it all out - I have just added more as needed.

No

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Motörcrab

Re: Found exo Parts

Post by Motörcrab » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:12 pm

Crabby Fritos wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:55 pm

IMPORTANT If you are adding to the substrate this weekend I would get rid of the calcium sand. Even though Pet Stores sell it for hermits it is no good for them. It can dry like concrete inside their shells and make them uncomfortable. The cheaper solution is to purchase playsand from a home improvement store. Usually a 50 lb bag will be around $5 and should be enough for a 10 gallon tank. The HCA recommends a 5 parts sand to 1 part Eco Earth mixed to sand castle consistency with dechlorinated fresh or salt water. The depth of your substrate may have been the biggest cause of finding exoskeleton. It should be 6" deep or 3 X's the height of your biggest crab.

Your temperature and humidity seem fine. I believe we used to use that same gauge. Small, black with two probes and fastens with a small suction cup to the tank. We had several of the humidity side fail if they got wet. Ours would always read 99% when they would stop working. Just keep an eye on that.

Your temperature and humidity are fine so I don't think that would be an issue unless it generates light 24 hours a day. Hermits need roughly a 12 hour cycle of day and night. An UTH is generally recommended here. Most people prefer Ultratherms or Flukers Under Tank Heaters. Those two seem to preform better than ZooMed pads. Zoo Meds can't be insulated but the others I mentioned can be. The UTH should cover the entire back of the tank from top of substrate to the black rim on the top of the tank. I found ReptileBasics has the best deal on Ultratherms.

I am not sure if the HCA recommends that dechlorinator. Most of us purchase Instant Ocean for the saltwater. Instant Ocean comes in small boxes, enough to mix 10 gallons of water will cost around $9-$10. You can mix a gallon at a time for a fraction of the price of the ready mixed waters. Also most of the premixed waters lack many of the items that are in Instant Ocean. I may be reading this wrong and don't want to give the wrong information.

IMPORTANT If that is all you are feeding them they are lacking in a lot of areas of their diet. I would start offering more proteins, krill, shrimp, crickets, mealworms, Also Planktons, seaweeds, various nuts, and more calciums too. Be sure to look at the care sheet section especially the safe food lists and also the nutrition guide. Not offering enough proteins can cause cannibalism. This could be another big factor.

If the lid is working for you and you aren't having issues with heat and humidity you can leave it be. I found glass tops do a way better job holding heat and humidity in the tank.

This should be ok for your 10 G. once they start getting bigger you may want to consider a larger tank down the road.

IMPORTANT The HCA recommends 3-5 shells per crab. The bigger their selection the less chances of any confrontation between crabs over shells. It is also good to have them in various sizes to give a wide selection and to have back up shells so you can rotate them in and out of the tank. doing that the 3-5 shells can easily double.

Nope

Spot cleaning is good. Most of us only do a deep clean when the substrate gets over saturated and/or a bacterial bloom takes place. With having calcium sand in the tank I would suggest mixing up new substrate as I mentioned above.

Sponges are no longer recommended. They can hold bacteria unless cleaned properly all the time. Most of us add craft mesh to the pools with zip ties for the crabs to crawl in and out of the pools. The pools should also be deep enough for your biggest crab to fully submerge.

No

To sum up. I noted some points as IMPORTANT that I feel caused your situation. The calcium sand possibly irritating your crabs, and also not having enough substrate for them to bury and molt properly. You will want to bump up all areas of your hermits diets, especially in the protein, and calciums. Also add more shells so they have a larger variety to choose from.

If you are redoing your tank this weekend I would highly recommend get rid of the calcium sand and to do a 5:1 mix as I mentioned above.

There are a few other things I mentioned that may help you making things easier but I feel as if they are not as critical and can be addressed as needed if circumstances change. I would also ditch the sponges and look into your water situation. I may have interpreted your water situation wrong.

EDIT: I see others responded as I was typing this up.

Topic author
Crabby Fritos

Post by Crabby Fritos » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:27 am

curlysister wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:47 pm
It sounds like you found some pieces of exo that were not eaten after a molt. Don't panic. There are some things that can be improved in your tank though.
Great advice by Crabby33, just adding a few things to it as well:

Crabby33:

Curly - Agree that the calcium sand needs to go; it becomes hard like cement when it is wet and can kill crabs. Many of us use a mixture of playsand and EE in a 5 to 1 ratio. It needs to be at least 6 inches, or three times as deep as your largest crab, whichever is deeper. It needs to be mixed with dechlorinated fresh or dechlorinated salt water so that it is 'sand castle' consistency, so it holds it's shape without being so wet that there are pools. I would do away with the wood chips completely

Curly -Unfortunately, lots of products that are labelled for hermit crabs actually aren't safe for them. As stated, most people use Prime to dechlorinate tap water. Marine salt then needs to be mixed in to create salt water, Instant OCean is the brand most of us use. Pools need to be deep enough for crabs to fully submerge, but there also needs to be a way for them to climb out (ie- ladshrimp but willgive them some meat if ers of plastic mesh or similar).

Curly - check out the posts that are 'pinned' to the top of the Food & Water section. They discuss a balanced and proper diet. Crabs need protein and a source of calcium every day.

Curly - a ten gallon can work, depending on the size of the crabs and how many. Here is the HCA Tank size and Crab Size guide:
http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 26&t=92541

Nope

Curly - Only spot cleaning the poop and bits of food that get dragged around the tank is needed with proper substrate. However, it might not be a bad idea for you to remove all the substrate in your tank and replace it with proper sub, given that there is calcium sand in it. Then after that, you won't ever need to remove and replace all of it. I have had my crabs for 8+ years, and have upgraded tanks twice, and have never thrown it all out - I have just added more as needed.

No

Thank you both for the great advice. I am switching my crabs to instant ocean for the salt water. I will look to buying the play sand but I will use 100% EE for now. This week, I will go buy some play sand replace it. I will am going to forgo the sponge and deep clean. I also have a spare tank that is under construction to provide more space for the crabs which It is also a 10 gallon. I am also going to clean out my tank by simply boiling the toys and replacing the substrate. One of my big problems however is shells. Petsmart doesn't exactly have the biggest or best selection so do you know of a brand or website where I can get them? I will check how to insulate from the conditions thread. I am attempting to expand their diet and have begun to use dried shrimp as a protein source. I'm sorry I didn't list that. I am also investing in some delicious crickets from Petsmart. Is that ok? I hope I have covered everything. Thank you all so much for the feedback.

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:04 am

Most pet store that sells shells are generally not good for crabs. Either being painted, or the wrong opening types.

You can't just put any shells in the tank either. You will need to measure the hole size. Measure across the opening and then order shells between 1/8 and 1/4" larger usually works. For 3 crabs I would probably order at least 10-12 shells.

Here is a link to Naples Shell Company and how they determine thier shell openings.
http://naplesseashellcompany.com/sizematters.html

There are a million places online, Etsy and eBay have good deals on shells. Sometimes you need to figure out the the opening based on the type of shell based on size.

I have had pretty good luck ordering from Naples Shell Company. They have a good assortment, alright prices, and a delivery time of maybe a week. The only thing is they charge shipping. If you are buying $3-4 worth of shells you will still be paying their $6-7 shipping fee. Just follow the link above.

If you are in a pinch. Ha ha, pinch, crabby joke!. You can sometimes buy various shell bags at Walmart, and craft stores such as Michael's. Unfortunately you can only see some of the shells in the bags. You may get some that will be the right size or none at all.

Dried crickets will work, tubiflex worms, anchovies, just about any type of fish or bug sold for fish and turtles will work for crabs. GotButterfies on here runs The Healthy Hermit. An Etsy store dedicated to hermit crab food. My wife and I have ordered from her several times and our crabs love her foods. Others on here will also vouch for the quality of her foods. Stacy will also make up custom orders so if you aren't sure what to get tell her you are new to hermit crabs and want to spend a certain amount, plus shipping. She will make sure your hermits have a balanced diet!

Topic author
Crabby Fritos

Post by Crabby Fritos » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:45 pm

Wow thats great! For all my other questions I will post under Food as to not get too off topic.