Tunnel collapses

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Jamison

Tunnel collapses

Post by Jamison » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:59 pm

Two of my crabs are underground and are probably going to molt. My substrate is not quite sandcastle consistency. Is this a problem.
2 purple pinchers
1 old dog

I will miss you Lloyd! Good luck up In Hermie Heaven!
You to Hagrid!

Overmountain1

Re: Tunnel collapses

Post by Overmountain1 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:03 pm

I’m not sure except to say potentially- but I’m glad you asked bc I noticed my 10 gal is a bit on the dry side as well, and I have no idea where one of mine is other than buried. Another tunneled through last night and it seems to be holding ok for now. I’m concerned Pat went down for a molt, and now I’ve added 2 more friends to his tank that he’s never even met, and I worry they’ll meet under the substrate! So yes, any additional info on how best for each of us to proceed is appreciated!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:11 pm

Is it just the top inch or so that’s dry? You should be able to just spray it with water.

It’s possible that crabs may encounter each other underground, but their tunneling usually means there’re no issues as long as there’s enough substrate.

Topic author
Jamison

Post by Jamison » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:18 pm

Ok I uust found one of them on the surface. My substrate is not very dry just not quite sandcastle.
2 purple pinchers
1 old dog

I will miss you Lloyd! Good luck up In Hermie Heaven!
You to Hagrid!

LandFishh

Post by LandFishh » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:29 pm

As long as you can form a tunnel by sticking your finger in it, you should be ok.
Hermit crabs, Fish, (Soon to be snails?), Dog, Garden. :D

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:39 pm

Sweet. Yes, it’s just that top bit that is a little more exposed. Thanks- that totally answers the question for me at least, and I feel a bit better now. Since there is a visible tunnel that goes at least couple inches down and back, I’d guess I’m ok, but a little spritzing is in order!

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:43 pm

You can add a bit of water at a time along the side of the tank where the sand meets the glass. The water will dissipate into the substrate and not cause flooding as long as you don't add too much. I have seen where some admins add more than I do, but I tend to be a bit conservative. I will add maybe a half-cup, divided into a number of spots in the tank (I have a 55 gallon).
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

scuttlecrusty22

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:23 pm

I'm glad this came up because my sand isn't quite sandcastle consistansy either😬I think my crab is molting right now but I'm glad to hear by the info here my sand isn't to dry😁thanks
(Scuttle, Crusty) crabs, (Buster,Ruby) chihuahuas, (Bugs) goat, (Echo) betta fish (Skittles,Sky) parakeets

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life"

scuttlecrusty22

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:16 am

curlysister wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:43 pm
You can add a bit of water at a time along the side of the tank where the sand meets the glass. The water will dissipate into the substrate and not cause flooding as long as you don't add too much. I have seen where some admins add more than I do, but I tend to be a bit conservative. I will add maybe a half-cup, divided into a number of spots in the tank (I have a 55 gallon).
Can this be done every day?
(Scuttle, Crusty) crabs, (Buster,Ruby) chihuahuas, (Bugs) goat, (Echo) betta fish (Skittles,Sky) parakeets

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life"

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:32 am

scuttlecrusty22 wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:16 am
Can this be done every day?
Probably not. It could cause flooding. It shouldn't have to be done every day. Or often. Are all your crabs buried? If not you can remove them for a bit and fix the substrate to sandcastle consistancy. Mix it with dechlorinated water. If you squeeze it and it drips that's too wet.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:43 pm

scuttlecrusty22 wrote: Can this be done every day?
Also note that it’s normal for the top inch or so of sand to become a little dry. In most cases it won’t affect the crabs’ ability to dig.

scuttlecrusty22

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:36 pm

Only one of crabs is buried right now👍thanks for the info😊