molting

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Jaycee

molting

Post by Jaycee » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:59 am

my crabs routinely burrow themselves and don’t come out for days. the temp reading on the tank wall has consistently been 70. i have one 6x6” heating pad but the crabs don’t target that area to burrow necessarily. humidity reading on tank wall is consistently 40-50.

my question is, how the heck to tell the difference between molting and just burrowing, since my crabs burrow more often than they are above the coconut fiber litter.

angelbearpuppy

Re: molting

Post by angelbearpuppy » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:21 am

There is no way to really tell. I have one that burrows down at day and up at night. And two that hide on the surface.

Sent from my LGL157BL using Tapatalk

I have owned Hermit Crabs for 2 Years

I have 1 E named Monkey and 2 PP named Shy Guy and Little P

I also own 1 PP named Dory who stays in my classroom

Hermiesguardian

Re: molting

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:29 am

You won't really know unless you see black tip toenails and hairy legs afterwards. Your humidity needs to be minimum 80%. They have modified gills and need that to breath.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi