Molting crab exposed in tunnel. ISO?

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
ashleylovesyou

Molting crab exposed in tunnel. ISO?

Post by ashleylovesyou » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:15 pm

Hermcules has been molting for about a month. Maybe a week ago, on the surface of the substrate I noticed a new hole ~1-2" deep where I could see the top of his shell. I checked the tank camera and he hasn't resurfaced, so I think one of my other crabs dug down and found him. I covered the opening to his tunnel with the large shell I use as a food dish as a bit of protection.

This morning, I noticed my other crab, Snooki, in the hole on top of Hermcules. I pulled her off and couldn't immediately see Hermcules' shell, so I very lightly brushed away a layer of sand to see if he was still there. I found him, and I think he's now upside down with sand packed in and around his shell.

It's hard to tell because he's still pretty well covered, but here are a couple of photos:

Since he's partially exposed and his tunnel seems somewhat collapsed, should I dig him up and isolate him? I've never isolated a crab before, so any help is greatly appreciated!

FYI: One other crab is down and I don't know where, so isolating Herm by sticking a container down into the sub to surround him might put the other crab in jeopardy. I feel like I may have to gently dig him up and place him in a container of moss, but I'm going to wait for the advice I get here before making any moves.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Molting crab exposed in tunnel. ISO?

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:36 pm

I would ISO him, if I saw the shell I would ISO as the other crabs will be able to pick up the moulting hormones.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
ashleylovesyou

Post by ashleylovesyou » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:46 am

Update: It was an empty shell that didn’t belong to Hermcules! By sheer coincidence, I woke up this morning to find Herm up and about (His little crab ears must’ve been ringing because I’ve been talking about him!). I checked the hole and the shell was still there, so I knew it was the spare that looked just like his. Crisis averted! :clap:

scuttlecrusty22

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:03 am

:cloud9: Yay!!!
(Scuttle, Crusty) crabs, (Buster,Ruby) chihuahuas, (Bugs) goat, (Echo) betta fish (Skittles,Sky) parakeets

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life"

angelbearpuppy

Post by angelbearpuppy » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:32 am

That is good to hear

Sent from my LGL157BL using Tapatalk

I have owned Hermit Crabs for 2 Years

I have 1 E named Monkey and 2 PP named Shy Guy and Little P

I also own 1 PP named Dory who stays in my classroom