ISO

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
MercifulRabbit

ISO

Post by MercifulRabbit » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:58 pm

My hermit crab has been surface molting, and has eaten most of his exoskeleton, and has began moving around the 2L isolation bottle I have now. I read on The Crab Street Journal that when they start moving around you should move them to an isolation tank.
I have a tank and extra play sand I could use for this purpose, but I’m not sure if that would stress him out too much was . Don’t wanna lose another crab :(
If someone could help me out, I’d be very grateful. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hyelah1990

Re: ISO

Post by hyelah1990 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:32 pm

First off, I am no expert!! But I had a flood and had to dig two crabbies up. I put them in ISO until they were up moving around. As soon as they were up I gave them a dip in the pool and put them back in the main tank.

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:58 pm

You’re already isolating the crab in the bottle. If the crab is up, moving around, eating and hardened, you can place it in the freshwater dish to rinse off any remnants of the molting scent and let it do it’s thing.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:29 pm

If your crab surface molted, there is likely something not right in the tank. If you would like us to help you trouble shoot, fill in the emergency template and post it.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
MercifulRabbit

Post by MercifulRabbit » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:46 pm

curlysister wrote:If your crab surface molted, there is likely something not right in the tank. If you would like us to help you trouble shoot, fill in the emergency template and post it.
He’d been showing signs of molting, and I was adding more substrate to the tank. The time I added it just happened to be he time he grew weak and lethargic. I’m assuming he surface molted because he didn’t have enough time to bury himself.

Topic author
MercifulRabbit

Post by MercifulRabbit » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:49 pm

soilentgringa wrote:You’re already isolating the crab in the bottle. If the crab is up, moving around, eating and hardened, you can place it in the freshwater dish to rinse off any remnants of the molting scent and let it do it’s thing.

He still has a bit of exoskeleton left to eat and hasn’t moved around all that much, but he did obviously move to the other side of the tank. I made a divider to split the tank in half, covered up the light on the side he was on and lifted the bottle over him in case he’d need more room. I put a towel over his half so he’d have darkness. I’m hoping he’s gonna do fine.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:39 pm

I found the other thread where you filled in the Emergency template. Pinchers and Shells gave some really good suggestions for a few things that could be improved, not just the substrate. Did your hygrometer/ thermometer arrive yet?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
MercifulRabbit

Post by MercifulRabbit » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:14 pm

curlysister wrote:I found the other thread where you filled in the Emergency template. Pinchers and Shells gave some really good suggestions for a few things that could be improved, not just the substrate. Did your hygrometer/ thermometer arrive yet?
No, not yet. I’m still needing to order one in fact, quite ashamed to admit it.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:01 pm

It's important to know what the temperature and humidity are.
The dechlorinator and marine salt (Instant Ocean) are also an important improvement.

Topic author
MercifulRabbit

ISO

Post by MercifulRabbit » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:22 pm

curlysister wrote:It's important to know what the temperature and humidity are.
The dechlorinator and marine salt (Instant Ocean) are also an important improvement.
My crab began roaming around so I went ahead and let him out. He lost his big pincher sadly during the molt, and I’m looking for an acurite thermometer/hygrometer gauge, but not too sure what to get, or how to install one in the tank.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:22 pm

MercifulRabbit wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:22 pm
My crab began roaming around so I went ahead and let him out. He lost his big pincher sadly during the molt, and I’m looking for an acurite thermometer/hygrometer gauge, but not too sure what to get, or how to install one in the tank.

Acurite is the brand. Check lowes. Or amazon. They're about $10-12. I velcro mine inside the tank. Others put theirs on differently.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
MercifulRabbit

Post by MercifulRabbit » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:30 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:
Acurite is the brand. Check lowes. Or amazon. They're about $10-12. I velcro mine inside the tank. Others put theirs on differently.
I’ve been looking on amazon at the moment just to know what I’ll be looking for when I do go out and get one, and wasn’t too sure how I’d set it up in the tank. Thanks! :)

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:22 pm

MercifulRabbit wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:30 pm
I’ve been looking on amazon at the moment just to know what I’ll be looking for when I do go out and get one, and wasn’t too sure how I’d set it up in the tank. Thanks! :)

You're welcome!
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi