Molting E in Bacterial Bloom & Lost Limbs

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

RiNiKy506

Re: Molting E in Bacterial Bloom & Lost Limbs

Post by RiNiKy506 » Wed May 01, 2019 6:33 pm

Xenocrab wrote:Thank you. He will always live on. His energy and spirit will be with us forever. He was an amazing crabby and we will always miss and love him.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
He will be with you forever, you had an amazing bond with him. Image

purplepincher

Post by purplepincher » Thu May 02, 2019 10:57 am

if you are ever looking for a new crab, name it after eddie. i named salsa after salt, my second crab. i do nt know how you could name a crab after eddie, but i think eddie would be happy knowing you remember him. i miss hearing about him already.
I love my little Acorn! #besthermitcrabever
I also Love Jesus! My favorite food is doughnuts, my favorite drink is orange soda,
and my favorite color is gold! (I like shiny things)

I am also a Die hard Lego fan!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu May 02, 2019 3:21 pm

I am very sorry to hear of his loss. You did everything you could. I know it is easier said than done, but please don't beat yourself up on woulda shoulda coulda. You did a phenomenal job. Hang in there!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Jamison

Post by Jamison » Thu May 02, 2019 7:49 pm

I'm so sorry. I was thinking he was going to make it and I prayed for him. I got attached. When I heard he passed, I cried a little. It's a amazing to think how thes e tiny creatures capture our heart like that, especially when they are not your own. That is a beautiful memorial.
2 purple pinchers
1 old dog

I will miss you Lloyd! Good luck up In Hermie Heaven!
You to Hagrid!

Topic author
Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Thu May 02, 2019 8:19 pm

I think everyone thought he was going to pull through. He was doing so well. At first I wasn't expecting him to pull through. He seem to be doing just fine eating and growing gel limbs. Then when he climbed out of his shell is when he started to decline. I was expecting him to molt.

I'm trying not to beat myself up over him passing. I know I did the best and tried everything I could for him. When something happens I want to know what went wrong, how it could have been prevented, and what could have been done different. Unfortunately with hermits there isn't a whole lot of information. That's one of the main reasons I kept updating this post. Maybe someone will read this down the road and will be able save their crab because of Eddie.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Scarletfire

Post by Scarletfire » Wed May 08, 2019 12:08 am

I read through every post just now, and felt extremely happy when he improved, and sad when his condition worsened. I'm sorry for your loss. You were outstanding and had a lot of patience especially during feeding and bathing.

Oliviet#1

Post by Oliviet#1 » Wed May 08, 2019 9:05 pm

I’m sorry that happened!😔 I was hoping he would make it.
I have had pets in the past, but my family can’t have any furry or feathered ones due to allergies. I usually try my best to help and currently trying to set up a crabitat. I also try to treat others with Love!❤️

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:01 pm

This was a real reality check on how delicate and environment changes can really affect hermit crabs. After you have them for a while you tend to forget. They may not be able to tell you outroght, "Hey human, I don't like this! Fix it!" They do let you know in their own way for sure.

So do you think it's not a good idea to change things up so they're not bored?
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:38 am

Hermiesguardian wrote:This was a real reality check on how delicate and environment changes can really affect hermit crabs. After you have them for a while you tend to forget. They may not be able to tell you outroght, "Hey human, I don't like this! Fix it!" They do let you know in their own way for sure.

So do you think it's not a good idea to change things up so they're not bored?
I’ve wondered this too because you hear so many different things, some say to change it and others don’t.

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:07 pm

I just read this topic. So sad. My heart goes out to you and Xenocrab, Motorcrab! He sounded like a very sweet boy. I'm glad you both had a bond with him. :cloud9: :comfort:
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

Princesscjudd

Post by Princesscjudd » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:32 pm

I was hoping for a happier ending... I have been a hermie owner for about 7 months. We have a 60 gallon tank we have more hermies than we should to be honest but we are almost done with our 300 gallon tank my husband has been making... more or less after our IVF failure hermies have became our life.
We just took a trip to the ocean a 3 hour drive to get shells for our bigger hermie who doesn't like the 5 that were in there.
Im really concerned about this bacterial bloom...
How do you know you have one? How do you prevent it?
We have issues keeping our humidity high and I know we dont have sitting water we have 2 pools with bubblers. I like to be prepared for Any and everything.
I just want to know more about this but im having issues finding anything on Google about this?
Thanks for any help and Im soooo sorry for your baby I really thought this would be a happy ending.

Princesscjudd

Post by Princesscjudd » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:32 pm

I was hoping for a happier ending... I have been a hermie owner for about 7 months. We have a 60 gallon tank we have more hermies than we should to be honest but we are almost done with our 300 gallon tank my husband has been making... more or less after our IVF failure hermies have became our life.
We just took a trip to the ocean a 3 hour drive to get shells for our bigger hermie who doesn't like the 5 that were in there.
Im really concerned about this bacterial bloom...
How do you know you have one? How do you prevent it?
We have issues keeping our humidity high and I know we dont have sitting water we have 2 pools with bubblers. I like to be prepared for Any and everything.
I just want to know more about this but im having issues finding anything on Google about this?
Thanks for any help and Im soooo sorry for your baby I really thought this would be a happy ending.

Topic author
Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:47 pm

Bacterial blooms unfortunately usually go undetected. It is caused from lack of oxygen in the substrate caused from crabs burying food, and other natural items that decompose underground. The substrate will smell really bad when dug up. Rotten eggs, musty basement, ammonia, to name a few smells. Mine was a dark grey color too. If it's in the center of the tank you will not be able to detect anything.

This is more to check for laying water rather than a bacterial bloom. If you have one it doesn't mean you have the other but there is a good possibility. Slide a butter knife of something down the front glass all the way to the bottom of the tank. Give it a wiggle or two and pull it out. If you have laying water at the bottom the water will pool in that hole. If you have any laying water you will need to get that out. I tried to soak up the water with towels in a few holes. It worked to lower the water table but didn't help with

Either one pretty much requires a complete teardown and rebuild. Some people will salvage the good substrate and reuse it. We opted to just start from scratch just to be safe.

Our floods came from our bubblers over spraying onto the substrate over a 5-6 month period. If you are loosing a lot of water between water changes it is going someplace. A lot of people put dry moss around their pools to help absorb overspray. Then you can swap that out with stuff that dries in the moss pit!

A few searches for tank flooding or bacterial bloom should bring up a few posts.

Hopefully that helps. There is also mention of Bacterial Blooms and Flooding in our Substrate Care Guide.
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=92542
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities