Molting E in Bacterial Bloom & Lost Limbs

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

AwesomeHermit

Re: Molting E in Bacterial Bloom & Lost Limbs

Post by AwesomeHermit » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:13 pm

Maybe you could cover the hole up with a leaf to make the hole darker?
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

Topic author
Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:25 pm

wodesorel wrote:I've got my fingers crossed here. I think all your thoughts on what is happening are valid. That abdomen is extremely swollen which can be good or bad, unfortunately. They're so tiny it's not like they can be palpated to find out how individual organs are doing. Image E's are also notorious for having molting issues, and the initial attack may have caused more internal damage that you can't see. Hopefully he's just scaring you! I hate this part so much.
I am thinking his abdomen being swollen is why he crawled out of his shell. The entire time he was in the critter keeper I only noticed he deficated once. I'm not sure how much crabs actually go or if he was eating it.

How much do they move around while molting? I am guessing they move and wiggle to she'd their exo. Once it is she'd they probably just sit there until they harden up.

Is there any safe ways to check on him? Possibly moving the hide to peek in? Or is it best to wait for the smell?

He seemed to get sluggish last Saturday and slowed with his eating. Tuesday is when he climbed out of his shell but ate alright. Wednesday he seemed ok, Thursday morning he wasnt moving when I picked him up and started to "wake up" once he was in water. Then he ditched his shell again. After he was reshelled he only ate a tiny bit of raw honey. That's when I was thinking he is ready to molt. That's when I ran home from work at lunch to put him in the molting hole.

The three of us really appreciate all the prayers, good vibes and positive thoughts. I really hope Eddie pulls through.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:30 pm

AwesomeHermit wrote:Maybe you could cover the hole up with a leaf to make the hole darker?
I have the tank insulated on all sides, and a towel on top to keep it dark. I also put a coconut hide over the hole. I have my one cam inside the tank to keep an eye on the heat and humidity too. I can partially see Eddie on the cam but not very well.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:05 am

Hello~ late to the party here (as usual) I think given his circumstances perhaps it would be better to leave him in the container with the crab mesh. At least he would be able to grab on to something if needed. The sand gives him nothing to grab onto. I do think he is probably preparing to molt given his signs. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:36 pm

Since you put food in with him, you'll have to check on him to remove any mold that will end up growing in a few days. It could continue to grow over him as well!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:22 pm

I just checked on Eddie a few minutes ago to remove the food I put in his hole on Thursday. Unfortunately I could smell the smell. Looking back on the cam footage from inside his ISO tank. The last little bit of movement I saw from him was from around 7:30 am yesterday morning. I believe he passed sometime shortly after that. We are completely devistated at the moment. We gave him the best possible care we could. I wish we could have done more since he had so much fight when we first found him. I really don't know what else we could have tried. We thought for sure he would pull through.

I am thinking his swollen abdomen was what caused his passing. Perhaps from eating and not being able to move caused him not to be able to deficate and caused his abdomen to swell? I keep thinking what else we could have done or tried. I don't know.

Thank you to everyone trying to to help and giving him and us all of the support. I know Eddie left knowing he was lcared for and oved greatly. We are really going to miss him.ImageImageImageImageImage

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:11 pm

Motörcrab wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:22 pm
I just checked on Eddie a few minutes ago to remove the food I put in his hole on Thursday. Unfortunately I could smell the smell. Looking back on the cam footage from inside his ISO tank. The last little bit of movement I saw from him was from around 7:30 am yesterday morning. I believe he passed sometime shortly after that. We are completely devistated at the moment. We gave him the best possible care we could. I wish we could have done more since he had so much fight when we first found him. I really don't know what else we could have tried. We thought for sure he would pull through.

I am thinking his swollen abdomen was what caused his passing. Perhaps from eating and not being able to move caused him not to be able to deficate and caused his abdomen to swell? I keep thinking what else we could have done or tried. I don't know.

Thank you to everyone trying to to help and giving him and us all of the support. I know Eddie left knowing he was lcared for and oved greatly. We are really going to miss him.ImageImageImageImageImage

I'm so so sorry. :cry:
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:48 pm

I am so sorry.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:38 am

I am so very very sorry.

A lot of the time they suffer more injury than we realize. You could see what happened to his legs, but there was no way to see what internal damage occured at the same time. They are incredible little animals, but sometimes that backfires and they linger for what ends up being no good reason.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

purplepincher

Post by purplepincher » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:34 am

he lived such a good life and passed knowing he was loved and cared for. i am sorry, but i believe that we will see all our animals again some day. regardless of your beliefs, i know that he did not die alone. we were all there for him, no matter how far away we were. as long as you remember him, he will always be with you.
I love my little Acorn! #besthermitcrabever
I also Love Jesus! My favorite food is doughnuts, my favorite drink is orange soda,
and my favorite color is gold! (I like shiny things)

I am also a Die hard Lego fan!

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:44 am

Sorry to hear that he passed. Seeing the daily progress, I really thought he would come through. Really shows that conditions can rapidly deteriorate...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:26 am

Sorry for your loss motorcrab. U did everything u could.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Topic author
Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Wed May 01, 2019 6:00 pm

Thank you for all the condolences. We both actually cried a few times with his passing. We have both lost crabs before. We always get sad when we loose any crab. Loosing Eddie really hit us hard. Eddie was our little racing crab that always seemed to have a very happy go lucky personality and absolutely loved running in the wheel. I'm pretty sure he was the first one to use a wheel for us.

Xenocrab put his body in a flower pot and planted some suculant on top along with his three shells as a memorial to him.

I keep looking back to figure out what I could have done different with his care. As Wodesorel said it's impossible to know what his internal injuries were for such a swollen abdomen.

Looking back the only there are three things I would probably do differently. I don't know if the outcome would have been better but these are the only things I really keep running through my head.
1. I would have given Eddie more medicinal baths in calendula and chamomile flowers. Calendula is supposed to stimulate the immune system and acts as a mild anti bacterial. Chamomile is supposed to reduce swelling and inflammation and cut down on healing time.
2. Given him more time in his bumper car. Perhaps being more active would have helped his metabolism to asorb the nutrients of what he ate. E's are always active so being mostly immobile may not have been good.
3. Tried feeding nutritional yeast. Nooch is high in protein, amino acids, vitamins, and fiber.

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Wed May 01, 2019 6:07 pm

That is a beautiful memorial for him.

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Wed May 01, 2019 6:12 pm

Thank you. He will always live on. His energy and spirit will be with us forever. He was an amazing crabby and we will always miss and love him.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.