Molting E in Bacterial Bloom & Lost Limbs

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Molting E in Bacterial Bloom & Lost Limbs

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:12 pm

Just out of curiosity, don’t you think you would do better making him food mixes? You could do that with all of your crabs really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:54 pm

I've been seriously considering making mixes. I journal all the foods I give at every food change. Ie: calci worms, crickets and silk worms = bug/worm mix. I have over 150 foods. My husband has just as many. We could save space and ink! We have 15 drawers of foods total. Our crabbies are so spoiled! But mixes would save a lot of time and space, and they would still be getting the same balanced nutrition.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

Topic author
Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:36 am

I was always concerned about mixing everything together and having finer things settle to the bottom. Like if you had a leafy mix and added egg powder. All the powder would settle and they would be getting just leaves. They won't be getting a balanced mix of everything that feeding.

Then I got thinking about blending each mix in a coffee grinder. Then that would eliminate the crabs from grabbing and tearing the food like in the wild. Plus with everything being in one mix it eliminates them searching for food. Although the searching would only be moving an inch from one food compartment to the next. I'm sure I am thinking way too much about how to serve them their foods

I did just make a small plant and calcium mix for Eddie. It contains about a half of scoop of each of these then ground it all in a mortar and pestle to make it easier for him to eat. I called it Ed Feast One (anyone get the reference there?). It contains Dulse Flakes, Organic Greensand, Organic Powdered Eggshell, Azomite, Bee Pollen, Seed Mix, Catappa Leaves, Repair My Exo Mix.

I'm going to try a mix of proteins, bugs, fish, and meats to see how that goes over too.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:10 am

When I make my food mixes, I try to avoid powders. My crabs never seem as interested in mixes with powders and my theory is that the powder coats everything and makes it all taste the same. I serve powders occassionally on their own.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Topic author
Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:23 am

That's what I was thinking too. Who wants to taste all of a meal in one bite all of the time. I ground up Eddie's mixes to make it easier for him to eat since he is missing both claws.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:18 pm

Yes, I think novelty is a big part in what gets them to eat. I do want to specify that I am in the pro-mix camp: I just think powders shouldn't be mixed in. Although obviously one method is as good as the other, it's just a matter of preference. I used to feed individual ingredients but it was too time consuming.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Topic author
Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:34 pm

Day 22 caring for Eddie. For the last 2-3 days he hasn't been as active moving around or eating like he has been. He mostly just sits there, taking a few bites. He seems to enjoy the waters more too. From everything I read it sounds like Eddie is getting ready to molt soon. Even though I read the attacked crab and molting guidelines I'm still unsure exactly when the ideal time is to place him in his molting hole.

Eddie is currently in our 10G travel tank with his ISO critter keeper inside that. A tank in a tank basically. When he is ready to molt I plan on putting him directly in the substrate in the 10 G. The substrate is mostly EE with some sand. I'd guess it's an 85/15 mix maybe 4" deep. It hold humidity very well. I believe that mix and depth will be ok since I dont need to worry about other crabs digging him up. Plus only having one leg he would not be able to crawl out of the hole easily.

I am planning on making a 2.25-2.5" diameter hole and also similar in depth for Eddie. His tapestry shell measures about 1.75" from the smallest point to the far side of the opening. Will that size hole be ok? Or should it be larger or smaller in diameter? Where in the tank is the best location to make a molting hole? Center of the tank, near the front, near the heater? Once He's in the hole I was thinking it may be a good idea to sprinkle some bee pollen, crab exo, and mosten some fresh moss and place it in the hole with him. Once he is in the hole I'll cover the hole with a hide and cover the tank with a towel to sleep it dark.

My biggest concern is knowing when he is actually ready to be placed in hole and not rushing him. I don't want to do it too soon and have him loose whatever reserves he currently built up only to have him start molting after using up what he stored. I also don't want to wake up and find he she'd his exo in the critter keeper either.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:45 pm

Sunshine completely refused food, and began fussing to where she was upside down or even several inches away from where I had left her. That was the sign she was ready to dig!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:05 pm

Thanks for the quick response. Eddie hasn't been moving in his ISO much. Maybe spinning 180 degrees not really crawling. I still don't think he eats in the ISO. I'm assuming he is getting water from the moss in with him. It sounds like I should wait a few more days before making a hole.

Maybe I should ditch the Critter keeper and place him on the substrate and see what he does? I'm sure he can't enjoy the mesh floor of the ISO much.

Jamison

Post by Jamison » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:14 pm

Motörcrab wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:05 pm
Thanks for the quick response. Eddie hasn't been moving in his ISO much. Maybe spinning 180 degrees not really crawling. I still don't think he eats in the ISO. I'm assuming he is getting water from the moss in with him. It sounds like I should wait a few more days before making a hole.

Maybe I should ditch the Critter keeper and place him on the substrate and see what he does? I'm sure he can't enjoy the mesh floor of the ISO much.
That's what I would do.
2 purple pinchers
1 old dog

I will miss you Lloyd! Good luck up In Hermie Heaven!
You to Hagrid!

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:59 pm

I think it would be good to keep him in a hole, covered with a hide just incase he wants to go, he can. Maybe bring him out for his feedings until he starts refusing. I really don’t know bc I put Rod in iso and she shed her exo a few days later. I know wodesorel’s advice is the best but I just wanted to let you know what I did with Rod.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:10 pm

The only issue with covering them too soon and then needing to check to see if they need to eat, is if they do surprise you with a molt, you could lift at exactly the wrong moment and end up right back where you started with a deformed crab.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:39 pm

Thanks again for everyone's help Eddie and I really appreciate it!

I set Eddie up in the 10 G without the critter keeper. I placed him on top of some moist moss near the center of the tank. Within a 3-4 inch crawl he has a coconut hide, two food dishes, fresh and salt water.

Depending on his movements I think I should be able to determine when he will be ready to molt. With doing his morning and evening feeds about 12 hours apart Im hoping I can pick out his behavior changes right away.

This is Eddie's new set up in the 10 G.

Topic author
Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:46 pm

I'm a bit worried now. I placed Eddie in the fresh water before feeding today. He crawled out of his shell. I got him reshelled easily by putting his tail at the opening and he crawled back in. Less than 30 seconds later he crawled back out. I started to reshell him the second time but was fighting me. Now he is back in the water 3/4's of the way out of his shell.

I know this generally isn't a good sign. Could this possibly be due to him not being mobile? I'm really worried about him now.

Looking at the size of his abdomen I don't see how he fits into that shell. I'm going to try a larger shell to see if he prefers that.

I'm freaking out. Uuuugh.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:03 pm

I’ve never been in your position, but IMO if something isn’t broke, don’t fix it. What you were doing was working. Perhaps everything new stressed him out? Perhaps try moving to a new shell, then try moving back into the critter keeper. That is what I would do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com