What could this be?

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Oliviet#1

Re: What could this be?

Post by Oliviet#1 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:36 am

Glad he is doing good
I have had pets in the past, but my family can’t have any furry or feathered ones due to allergies. I usually try my best to help and currently trying to set up a crabitat. I also try to treat others with Love!❤️

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:25 am

He is a beautiful hermit crab, I hope he is still doing well for you. Sending you some positive, healing crabby vibes.

Topic author
odelayheehoo

Post by odelayheehoo » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:37 am

He’s doing fine today as well, nearly all of the exo is eaten up and he’s beginning to gain more color. He’s drinking fresh and salt water too, and I am giving him honey and bee pollen every day.
Keeper Since 2016
75G - 10PP

Oliviet#1

Post by Oliviet#1 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:50 am

Good for him and you!
I have had pets in the past, but my family can’t have any furry or feathered ones due to allergies. I usually try my best to help and currently trying to set up a crabitat. I also try to treat others with Love!❤️

Topic author
odelayheehoo

Post by odelayheehoo » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:39 am

He's eaten all of his exo and he drinks both waters and eats the honey on the qtip that I leave for him, when do you think a good time to put him back with the others may be?

I was going to give him a couple more days to color up and offer some calcium, then maybe he'll be ready.
Keeper Since 2016
75G - 10PP

Topic author
odelayheehoo

Post by odelayheehoo » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:20 am

@wodesorel @GotButterflies when would be a good time to release him back? He nearly finished his exo completely, just a couple broken pieces of the claw are left, and he regained his color.
Keeper Since 2016
75G - 10PP

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:28 am

I don't rush it when they've been dug up too early. They normally wait a few weeks after finishing their exo before coming up. If you put them back too soon they will be weak and smell like molt. I had one torn apart before by the other crabs in the tank. Just give it a little time, wait until he's back to normal activity levels and bathe first!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
odelayheehoo

Post by odelayheehoo » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:29 am

wodesorel wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:28 am
I don't rush it when they've been dug up too early. They normally wait a few weeks after finishing their exo before coming up. If you put them back too soon they will be weak and smell like molt. I had one torn apart before by the other crabs in the tank. Just give it a little time, wait until he's back to normal activity levels and bathe first!
He's just kinda sitting in there like he's bored, but he does drink the water I give him daily. I have a vacation coming up and I leave on the 19th, and I do not have a sitter coming over to look after the crabs.
Keeper Since 2016
75G - 10PP

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:35 pm

The crabs should be fine without a sitter (how long will you be gone?) Leave lots of leaf litter, seeds, dried bugs, calcium, snake skin, bubblers in water. Sometimes they don’t finish all of their exo. Might be better to keep separate while you aren’t there to monitor though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:19 pm

odelayheehoo wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:29 am
He's just kinda sitting in there like he's bored, but he does drink the water I give him daily. I have a vacation coming up and I leave on the 19th, and I do not have a sitter coming over to look after the crabs.
Not bored, recouperating just like he would be if he was still underground. They take a while to fully harden and expand, and will be weak until then.

Topic author
odelayheehoo

Post by odelayheehoo » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:53 pm

GotButterflies wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:35 pm
The crabs should be fine without a sitter (how long will you be gone?) Leave lots of leaf litter, seeds, dried bugs, calcium, snake skin, bubblers in water. Image Sometimes they don’t finish all of their exo. Might be better to keep separate while you aren’t there to monitor though. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I will be away a week, and thanks for the food suggestions but I don’t have snake skin.
wodesorel wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:19 pm
Not bored, recouperating just like he would be if he was still underground. They take a while to fully harden and expand, and will be weak until then.
Thanks, he’s definitely getting close!
Keeper Since 2016
75G - 10PP

craboloading

Post by craboloading » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:52 pm

Just stumbled across this thread, glad to see it has a happy ending. Felt obligated to post simply because your crabbo is gorgeous. Keep us updated on that BP situation, fingers crossed that he holds onto it.
3 PPs: Beacon the Two Pound Crab of Light and Purity & Scuttles the Shadow Crab of Darkness and Desparity ~ 2/10/19 and Felicity Crab-19 ~ 5/24/20
1 Orange Cat: Chloe Hannah ~ 4/2015

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:18 pm

wodesorel wrote: Not bored, recouperating just like he would be if he was still underground. They take a while to fully harden and expand, and will be weak until then.
If they come out of their little spot are they ok to be put back? I noticed my Rod had flipped her cocohut over and it looks like there is sand in each of the shells like she had come out and drank from them both. Her exo is also all gone except for a tiny bit of b.p.. I just flipped her hut back over and left her bc I don’t know when to add her back.

Topic author
odelayheehoo

Post by odelayheehoo » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:19 pm

@wodesorel Today he appears to be the most active yet, he's walking around in the small container and always has responded to food and water, he might be ready to go back in the next few days!
Keeper Since 2016
75G - 10PP

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:04 pm

That's great!