Need to move tank but has 2 molters

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
teachincrabbie

Need to move tank but has 2 molters

Post by teachincrabbie » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:36 pm

Hello!

I need to move my tank because my classroom is having some work done in the corner where my heaters are plugged, they would need to be unplugged while people work. I need to move my tank to the other side of the room (15 feet), so that I can plug in the tank. But I have 2 down that are molting. One just went down today and another has been down for about 2 weeks. A third molter just came up today successfully. Should I dig them out? Or will their tunnels be okay being moved?

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Need to move tank but has 2 molters

Post by wodesorel » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:07 pm

Can you run an extension cord?
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
teachincrabbie

Post by teachincrabbie » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:12 pm

wodesorel wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:07 pm
Can you run an extension cord?
We don't have an extension cord long enough that also has enough outlets (3) to heat all uths (2 to cover the back above substrate and 1 on the side). With the longest cord we could find we would still have to move it like 6 feet.

odelayheehoo

Post by odelayheehoo » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:00 pm

If this was me, then I would be doing anything I could in order to not have to move the tank. You can get extension cords almost as long as you could imagine, and there's always the option of using a multi-outlet power strip that you can use, my crabitat is run on one of these.
Keeper Since 2016
75G - 10PP

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:20 pm

How long would the tank need to be unplugged? If it was unplugged up to maybe three to four hours it would probably be fine as long as your classroom isn't super cold. If the work is being done after school hours I wouldn't trust someone else with the responsibility of plugging it back in.

Perhaps a custodian would have an industrial extension cord you could use temporarily? Like odelay said you could plug a power strip into the cord. The custodian may even have a 3-way too. Most maintenance people would have something for plugging in multiple power tools.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
teachincrabbie

Post by teachincrabbie » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:14 am

Thank you for all your responses. We have avoided moving my tank. One of my students brought me a super long cord that also has 3 plugs. The workers will be replacing the countertops over a few days so I'm just going to change the extension cord today so no one will be unplugging it even for a few hours. Thanks again!

Wysper

Post by Wysper » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:30 am

You may want to add a note to the extension cord...... Especially if they will be doing work while you are not there. Contractor's and builders are well known to unplug whatever they want to plug in their equipment instead.... And maybe a sign that says "Live Animals" so they don't knock into the tank or stand (not sure how you have it set up)..

Just a few suggestions for added safety and sanity over the weekend!

Topic author
teachincrabbie

Post by teachincrabbie » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:47 am

Wysper wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:30 am
You may want to add a note to the extension cord...... Especially if they will be doing work while you are not there. Contractor's and builders are well known to unplug whatever they want to plug in their equipment instead.... And maybe a sign that says "Live Animals" so they don't knock into the tank or stand (not sure how you have it set up)..

Just a few suggestions for added safety and sanity over the weekend!
Thank you! I'll definitely put signs on the tank, outlet, and cord. My principal says she will be here too and watch them. The secretary is also feeding them.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:01 pm

When you say counters, do you mean counter tops? Will they be using adhesive? I just recently had countertops installed in my kitchen and the fumes were incredible. I put towels over my tanks which were in the next room.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
teachincrabbie

Post by teachincrabbie » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:21 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:01 pm
When you say counters, do you mean counter tops? Will they be using adhesive? I just recently had countertops installed in my kitchen and the fumes were incredible. I put towels over my tanks which were in the next room.
During this break, they are only taking measurements apparently (just learned this today but still happy I moved the outlet). During summer they will install the new ones but I’ll be moving this summer with my crabs.