Not sure if crabs are molting or not....

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
SonicRivera

Not sure if crabs are molting or not....

Post by SonicRivera » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:53 pm

I need to add more sand in the crabitat because there is not enough sand for my crabs to properly molt. I just barely got them, but they are all starting to dig down. They can't cover themselves with the sand though because it is only half as deep as they are tall. I'm not sure if it is safe to move them yet is what I'm trying to say. Any suggestions? Also, for more detail so you can tell if they are molting or not, two of them are right next to each other and have not even tried to cover themselves while the third one is nowhere to be found....

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Not sure if crabs are molting or not....

Post by JoeHermits » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:25 am

If you can find all your crabs, you can simply dump in as much sand as you need.

If one really is buried, you’ll have to be more cautious. Add one inch of sand per day to avoid collapsing any tunnels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Motörcrab

Re: Not sure if crabs are molting or not....

Post by Motörcrab » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:05 am

Here is the caresheet for mixing and proper depth of substrate for the size crabs you have.

http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 26&t=92542

The general rule is 6" of substrate or 3 times more than your largest crab.

I would add more substrate ASAP since your crabs are trying to dig. If one sheds their exo on the surface there is a very good chance he will be eaten by your other other crabs.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities