Not sure what second crab is up to

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Autumnshroud

Not sure what second crab is up to

Post by Autumnshroud » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:32 am

Hi all...

Derp went underground about 3 weeks ago, in what I assume is his first molt with me. He was chirping and moving around the other night, so I know he's okay (my crabs don't seem to be in distress when they chirp).

He was the smaller of the two crabs and a bit traumatized by his move - he hadn't been very active before his molt, at least, not compared to Herp. He buried himself in the substrate, under a hollowed out half-moon piece of tree.

Since I installed the mist machine and improved their diets, Herp had been SUPER active: climbing, bathing, eating, and stretching. I woke up today and she had dug in under the stump. She dug around all night; sometimes I could see her when she'd get close to a side.

About a half-hour ago, I heard a lot of scraping sounds and then nothing. I lift up the stump to see if I could see anything, and this is what I found:

I can now see the top of Derp's shell. I very lightly touched the top of his shell with my finger and he shifted slightly, so I know he's still alive. But now Herp is right next to him, and she's out of her shell (I can see this without touching anything).

So I don't know what to do now. Should I cover them both up? Move Herp? I'm at a loss - any help is much appreciated!

Jennifer

EDIT:

I heard more moving around, so I lifted up part of the log and Herp popped out, wearing Derp's shell. Turns out it was Herp in the shell when I touched it. I gently dug a bit around what I thought was Derp's molt, but it was Derp himself. He seemed intact, but a couple of his legs were broken off. He's definitely dead. =(

So, anything I should worry about now, besides getting a new companion crab?

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Not sure what second crab is up to

Post by JoeHermits » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:33 am

If one crab attacked the other underground, then you probably need deeper substrate and/or more shells. In some cases diet can also be an issue.

I recommend filling out the emergency help template so we can see what’s going on.

https://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/p ... 27&t=46102

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Autumnshroud

Post by Autumnshroud » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:48 am

Thanks. I'm not sure if Herp actually attacked him, or if she just used the opportunity to snag his shell (she's already changed back into her old one).

I'll fill out the form now.

Topic author
Autumnshroud

Post by Autumnshroud » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:05 am

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?

I use regular "hermit crab sand", with a mix of coconut fibres. It's at least 6 inches deep.

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?

Yes. I have a gauge for both (they're analog and I need to get a digital one). The temperature stays around 75, and the humidity is usually between 75 and 80%.

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?

I have to get a heating pad; right now I'm using a UV light.

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?

Both salt and fresh. Right now I'm using the Zoo Med mixes, because supplies have been really hard for me to find.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?

I have a dishes with peanut bits, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, ancient grains mix (all safe), and hemp seeds. I change this one every couple of days.

The other dish I put in a rotating menu of berries, shrimp, chicken, chicken bones, pork, greens, and other things. I change that one daily.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?

I got both crabs on December 30th, 2018. They were both purple pinchers.

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?

Derp's past three weeks underground were the first signs of molting from either crab.

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?

They're in a 10 gallon glass tank with a mesh top.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?

There were just the two. I'm not sure what an average hermit crab size is, but from what I can tell, they're both golf ball size.

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?

I currently have 5 extra shells in the tank. These have been *really* hard for me to find.

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?

None.

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?

Once a week I do a light surface poo clean. I do a sprout and mold check minimum once a day.

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?

No sponges.

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?

I added a misting machine about 2 and a half weeks ago.

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.

Please see my initial post.

Thank you for all of the help!