Question about Molting position

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
BlueCrabAve

Question about Molting position

Post by BlueCrabAve » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:40 pm

So we thought one of our pp’s was down for a molt- he has been gone for about a week. I was just changing the food tonight and was picking up a piece of cherry out of a shallow hole and noticed the point of a claw and the edge of the crab’s shell just barely visible under the sand at the bottom of the hole. What is a normal position for molting? Don’t they usually create a “pocket” or are they surrounded by sand? I will dig him up and put in ISO if he is going to suffocate. I just put a clear disc that we use for food over the top of the hole so the other crabs don’t bother him but I’m not sure if this is just normal. I should add that we have had this crab for 11 months and he has successfully molted at least 3-4 times Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by BlueCrabAve on Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Question about Molting position

Post by wodesorel » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:42 pm

That looks like it might be a leftover leg tip from the last time he molted. They rarely finish all of their exo, and finding tips of claws and legs is common.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
BlueCrabAve

Re: Question about Molting position

Post by BlueCrabAve » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:49 pm

Well you are right. I poked around with my little skewer and it is just a fragment!! The “shell” was just a smooth rock. He must be safely buried after all! Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk