Lethargic post Molt

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Ralmeida

Lethargic post Molt

Post by Ralmeida » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:34 pm

Hi, I got a new PP from a pet store and 2 days in he borrowed and stayed under for about 3 months. He resurfaced about 5 days ago and has been somewhat lethargic. He has eaten and I have seen him go to both water dishes. He has had no interest in climbing or walking around much. Sometimes he just sits there and doesnt move for hours. I am concerned that he is dying. Anything I can do to help at this point? I believe he did molt because his exoskeleton has a white'ish hue to it. Thank you.

Topic author
Ralmeida

Re: Lethargic post Molt

Post by Ralmeida » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:09 pm

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?

at least 6 inches of play sand.

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?

Yes and in the top middles. Digital. Currently reads: Temp 77 and humidity 80

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?

2 heating pads attached to the glass on either side of tank just above sand line.

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?

Fresh water in a pool with air stone and shells inside to void drowning and a way to get in and out. Treated with prime.
Salt water in large clam shell made with prime fresh water and Cobalt Aquatics 23306 Hermit Crab Salt Aquarium Salt

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?

Replaced daily, variety of fresh fruit, vegetables, eggs, meat, egg shell etc.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?

PP had it since February

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?

This one molted about 5 days ago (stayed under for 3 months), the second one went under about 2 weeks ago and is still under. Also a PP

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?

10 gallon glass, mesh cover 100% covered in plastic.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?

2 small

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?

around 10

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?

no

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?

Spot clean for poop, change water every 3 to 4 days

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?

no sponges

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?

I added the shallow pool with air stone to improve humidity.
Last edited by Ralmeida on Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Renata

Post by Renata » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:12 pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:51 pm

Hi! Your tank looks really cool! You did however skip the first question on the emergency form which is actually a very important question. It sounds to me like your conditions are good (of course we don't know about the substrate yet). The temperature is a little low, and being cold can cause lethargy in crabs so you might want to try to get that up a few degrees. However from what you've said so far everything sounds ok to me. In my experience a crabs activity level swings around pretty wildly. Sometimes my crabs are out and about all the time, running around the tat like theyre training for a marathon, devouring everything I put out. Other times I barely see them and they barely touch their food. I suggest putting out some honey, maybe some organic peanut butter or coconut oil.

Just a couple of additional notes on care.

- I looked at the salt you are using and could not tell whether or not it is MARINE salt. The salt pools have to be marine salt. Maybe someone else knows more about the brand your'e using than I do but I would recommend switching to actual marine salt which can be found in any aquarium section. Instant Ocean is a favorite around here.

- The pools should be deep enough that the crabs can fully submerge in them. Since you didn't specify in your form I thought I'd just mention that.

- Regarding food, just make sure to wash all produce in dechlorinated water. Also they should have some chitin in their diet so some sort of bug/shrimp/plankton should be offered from time to time (if you're not offering already).

Your care conditions sound pretty on point so far but please go back and answer the first question about the substrate because that is very relevant and let us know how it goes!

Topic author
Ralmeida

Post by Ralmeida » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:56 pm

Hi! Thank you for your reply!

The substrate in it is play sand and there is at least 6 inches of it in the tank. I offered honey this morning and he did actually eat some of that this afternoon.

I will look into adding more chitin to his diet.

The pools are both deep enough for them to submerge in but also get out safely.

Thanks again! Fingers crossed he will survive the most molt PPS phase...

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:55 pm

He doesn't sound too bad actually, most crabs will just wander around a bit and then sit in one place. Too much activity can be a sign of severe stress!

He looks a little pale, but that could be from having just molted. I would imagine that as he darkens up a bit he'll get a bit more active as well.

The salt mix is not a good one for crabs. It won't hurt them but it won't help them either, it's the same as freshwater aquarium salt.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Renata

Lethargic post Molt

Post by Renata » Thu May 02, 2019 8:55 am

Update! I gave him crushed pistachios with cuttlefish bone and that was a hit! He ate some honey too and got some water in him. He’s been chilling under the log now. Hoping he is regaining his strength. Instant Ocean arrives today, I’ll add that to the crabitat. Really hoping his colors perk up a bit. ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk