Molting not sure how long

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Sun May 05, 2019 6:16 pm

Hello again been away because my crabbie been molting... not sure how long it's been....
CAN I GO DIG FOR HIM .. I dont smell anything .. my sand is bone dry been trying to add water to the one edge... but ! He a loner so if I dig for him what can happen .. no one will find and eat him . He alone .. I dont want to interrupt anything or mess him up but ! It's been a long while ! .... I can wait another month maybe but it's been months ++

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Re: Molting not sure how long

Post by Hermie escape artist » Sun May 05, 2019 6:24 pm

His longest molt before this was like 3 and a half months... scarred cause my sand is really dry what should I do ... can I dig for him

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sun May 05, 2019 6:42 pm

If he is alone it’s probably best to leave him. If his first molt was three and a half months, he could possibly take that long again or longer. Digging him up can really hurt him if you dig him up and he’s very soft it can cause him to harden funny if he moves the wrong way. Someone with more experience than me may have a better answer for you but the answer to dig is usually no, unless you have a flood or bacterial bloom. It can be stressful on us waiting for them and it’s very hard wondering if they are ok but it is best to wait it out. IF for some reason something did happen to him, there’s nothing you can do. So the risk of having something happen to him if he is ok and you dig him up isn’t worth the chance.

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Sun May 05, 2019 7:17 pm

Thanks yes I know we should never dig them up .. scarred been like 6 months maybe maybe less maybe like 4 !
But how long is a longest molt .. and what can I do about dry sand if I dont where he is I dont wanna dump water on top of him .. maybe I can put some moss or mist daily cause very dry ..

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sun May 05, 2019 9:36 pm

Use a spray bottle and mist it lightly every few days, make sure you don’t overdo it and cause a flood though. The light misting should be ok wherever he is under the sand. I’m not sure how long your supposed to wait before it is ok to dig.

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Sun May 05, 2019 9:43 pm

RiNiKy506 wrote:Use a spray bottle and mist it lightly every few days, make sure you don’t overdo it and cause a flood though. The light misting should be ok wherever he is under the sand. I’m not sure how long your supposed to wait before it is ok to dig.
Thanks ! Hopefully some more people will adventually weigh in ! Their opinions thanks !

purplepincher

Post by purplepincher » Mon May 06, 2019 7:49 am

i heard one large crab molted for 7 and a half months on some other forum. i forgot which. i am subscribed to like 4.
I love my little Acorn! #besthermitcrabever
I also Love Jesus! My favorite food is doughnuts, my favorite drink is orange soda,
and my favorite color is gold! (I like shiny things)

I am also a Die hard Lego fan!

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Mon May 06, 2019 8:01 am

purplepincher wrote:i heard one large crab molted for 7 and a half months on some other forum. i forgot which. i am subscribed to like 4.
Thanks !!! So it's been like 4 months false alarm me overly worried bout my hermie! But thanks for comments !!! Cause this is his mark where he would be up soon so comment s help !! So misting should be fine ?? Worried cause if he is under the sand I'm misting the top how will that help him breathe down there if my sand is dry dry!

purplepincher

Post by purplepincher » Mon May 06, 2019 8:42 am

yeah, just dont over do the water. make sure the sand looks damp and easy to shape. also, if you smell rotten fish, he has passed.
I love my little Acorn! #besthermitcrabever
I also Love Jesus! My favorite food is doughnuts, my favorite drink is orange soda,
and my favorite color is gold! (I like shiny things)

I am also a Die hard Lego fan!

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Mon May 06, 2019 8:50 am

purplepincher wrote:yeah, just dont over do the water. make sure the sand looks damp and easy to shape. also, if you smell rotten fish, he has passed.
Ya no smell ! All the sand is dry .. has a heater so ! If I must only the top...

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Mon May 06, 2019 3:09 pm

Why is your sand so dry? Are your temp and humidity good?
You can add water along the edges, it will go down and eventually be absorbed into the rest of the substrate.
You can put a straw or chopstick or similar down the front of the tank right along the glass, then you can see if there is any water pooling in the bottom.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Mon May 06, 2019 4:13 pm

curlysister wrote:Why is your sand so dry? Are your temp and humidity good?
You can add water along the edges, it will go down and eventually be absorbed into the rest of the substrate.
You can put a straw or chopstick or similar down the front of the tank right along the glass, then you can see if there is any water pooling in the bottom.
Thanks!!! Heater has it dry...humidity and temp was good til.he been molting about 3-4 months
My heater drys my sand pretty quick.. not sure exactly how I was gonna add more eco earth . But he went down for a molt.... so couldnt ....
How often should I add water ... ... was scarred to add water along the edges all this time cause didnt know where he was ... so added some once in a while on the front side only so I will start adding water along all the edges !!!

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Mon May 06, 2019 7:22 pm

Just add a little dechlorinated water at a time depending on the size of your tank and how much substrate you have. I would probably start with 1/2 a cup and let that go for a day or two. Then add another 1/2 cup in another spot and let that sit another day or two. It's a lot easier to add water slowly than try to remove it. The water will spread out like curlysister said. Like when you clean up a spill with a paper towel.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Mon May 06, 2019 8:05 pm

Motörcrab wrote:Just add a little dechlorinated water at a time depending on the size of your tank and how much substrate you have. I would probably start with 1/2 a cup and let that go for a day or two. Then add another 1/2 cup in another spot and let that sit another day or two. It's a lot easier to add water slowly than try to remove it. The water will spread out like curlysister said. Like when you clean up a spill with a paper towel.
Thanks !!!

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue May 07, 2019 1:13 am

What is the current temperature and humidity readings?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers