How to protect crab during molt

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
teachincrabbie

How to protect crab during molt

Post by teachincrabbie » Tue May 07, 2019 5:36 pm

My big guy is molting. He decided to do it against the glass so I have a perfect view. He shed his exo about 4 days ago and is eating it. However I’m worried because my other crab (slightly smaller than the molter) just went down. I don’t know if he is molting too. He goes up and down a lot. However I can hear him moving just the tank floor. I’m worried he will smell my big one (by big I mean the size of a golf ball, which is big to me) and attack him. Should I be worried? They have meat available (bloodworms, mealworms, and dried crickets everyday).

odelayheehoo

Re: How to protect crab during molt

Post by odelayheehoo » Tue May 07, 2019 5:49 pm

I personally wouldn't worry about it too much, many keepers including myself have had more than one crab underground molting at the same time with no issues.
Keeper Since 2016
75G - 10PP

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Tue May 07, 2019 6:55 pm

I currently have 5 of 8 underground doing whatever they do. My guess is plotting to destroy the world. They dig all down in one spot and come up in another. Not much you can do like odela said.

All I would do is cover the window your guy made with a piece of cardboard. That way he will not be disturbed as easy from light changes and movement outside the tank. It's neat to check on them to see what they are doing but it can cause them to move too soon and possibly cause molting issues. I know when I'm changing my clothes I don't want strangers watch me! LOL
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
teachincrabbie

Post by teachincrabbie » Tue May 07, 2019 8:39 pm

Thanks you everyone! I'm glad he should be fine but I'll cover the window because I keep looking at him :( Ooops!

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue May 07, 2019 10:15 pm

How deep is your substrate?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
teachincrabbie

Post by teachincrabbie » Wed May 08, 2019 7:33 am

curlysister wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 10:15 pm
How deep is your substrate?
It’s 6 inches deep.

scuttlecrusty22

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Wed May 08, 2019 10:02 am

I just had the same problem with my crabs, Crusty (first 1 down) was molting for a few days and then Scuttle ( 2nd one down) followed him. I was so scared he was going to eat him, but now all is well and they are both done molting and are very happy, healthy (and hungry.) :hlol:

:molted:: :molted::
(Scuttle, Crusty) crabs, (Buster,Ruby) chihuahuas, (Bugs) goat, (Echo) betta fish (Skittles,Sky) parakeets

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life"

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Wed May 08, 2019 11:51 am

The only time I had a problem with a crab digging up another crab was when I didn't have enough substrate - they had grown and I hadn't kept that in mind with the depth of substrate. If they have enough space and sub, they should be fine.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers