Isolation

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
newbiecrab

Isolation

Post by newbiecrab » Wed May 15, 2019 11:14 pm

My 17yo teen daughter purchased two crabs not really knowing what she was getting into. I would say they were purchased about 9 months ago. She panicked today because she taught one was dead. After stumbling to this site (this is totally new to me also; great info and people btw), turns out it was surface molting. Not surprising since the substrate was not very deep (not even an inch) nor appropriate (only dry coconut which she regularly misted). No clue when it started to molt. My daughter moved it around though when she noticed it today, which I know she should not have.

We do not have an ISO tank. We moved the crab very gently to another container, while we prepared the tank with an appopriate 6 inch substrate mix of moist sand with coconut (sandcastle consistency). Again, not the best idea to move it. We put the crab back in with its exo. Humidity is around 70%, temp 75. I have cut a 2l bottle to isolate the crab with its exo.

My questions are:

1) what should we be looking out for to see if the crab is ok?
2) how long should the crab stay in isolation, and how does it drink if isolated in bottle? Is the exo sufficient for food? Is isolation really necesary, the other crab doesn't appear to have done anything, going about its regular business.
3) is there anything else we need to do? Or do differently?

Thank you for the help!

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Isolation

Post by curlysister » Wed May 15, 2019 11:49 pm

Definitely keep it iso'd from the other crab - it's soft and vulnerable.
When crabs are molting, they don't need anything other than their exo. Eventually they will need water, then you can use bottle caps, one with dechlor fresh and one with dechlor marine salt water.
One of the admins with more experience with surface molts can probably help more with the time line.
Read through all the care sheets - they explain everything from substrate to shells to proper water to nutrition. I have had my crabs for 8 1/2 years and the HCA is the only site I have gone to for advice and information.
If you would like us to offer more specific advice, copy and paste the 'emergency template' and answer the questions. We don't mind helping!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
newbiecrab

Post by newbiecrab » Thu May 16, 2019 7:25 am

Thank you you for the bottle cap advice. The crab appears fine and is moving around within the bottle. I will (or my daughter!) go through the care sheets.

It is a quite small crab, so the only thing missing is how long should it stay in ISO.

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Thu May 16, 2019 5:01 pm

I keep mine in iso until I feel comfortable that it's completely healthy and had a successful molt. The go thru their form of P.T.S.D.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Tue May 21, 2019 3:43 am

When you isolate using a soda bottle the crabs can typically dig themselves out when they're ready to leave unless you push it all the way to the bottom. Otherwise you can just keep an eye out for when most of the shed exoskeleton is eaten and the crab starts becoming active again, then let them free. You may need to dip the crab in the pool to neutralize their scent if the other crabs won't leave it alone.
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Seasalt, & Elvis
Captive Bred PP = Randy
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/