Molt Color Question

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Poluikis2017

Molt Color Question

Post by Poluikis2017 » Mon May 20, 2019 9:49 am

Heyyyy!

One of my crabs just emerged after about a month. Looks smaller, a LOT of hairs, sharp nails, new leg. I think he successfully completed a molt. My concern is that his color is more grey now and he’s lost his bright red color in his leg. It’s just grey/purple now. Is this normal? I was expecting brighter, so I was surprised by this color development. He’s behaving a tad more shy than normal. I picked him up to inspect him and he does seem a little more stressed.

6inches of substrate
Temp and Humidity is 80/80
Freshwater and Saltwater pools
Fresh foods as well as some fun dry mixes of coconut, chia and various fish bone mix.

Would you say the color and behavior are a bad sign? After I put him back he dug down back into his hole immediately. Little diva.

Topic author
Poluikis2017

Re: Molt Color Question

Post by Poluikis2017 » Mon May 20, 2019 9:59 am

He’s a PP

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Mon May 20, 2019 4:57 pm

Crabs can change their color from molt to molt based on their diet. The grey could just be his new exo not being fully hardened yet, they may look a bit dull for a few days. All my guys are usually pretty spook when they first come up from molting too.

It's perfectly normal. Just be sure you have plenty of fresh and salt water, calciums, and energy rich foods when they decide to come back up.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Mon May 20, 2019 5:08 pm

All my crabbies are different colors when they come up! Sometimes I don't recognize them. Yes, diet has a lot to do with it, but sometimes age does as well. My 2 small guys were pink when they went down. When they came up, they were purple and orange. Some have the most beautiful colors that they didn't have before. My Triple H is always black as a spade no matter what. Mr. Fishy Head is always a drab color. Every crabby is different.
Also, when they come up, they are easily spooked and act like I'm going to hurt them when I walk by the tank. Over time, the become more a custom to me and they don't react so dramatically.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

Topic author
Poluikis2017

Post by Poluikis2017 » Tue May 21, 2019 4:56 pm

Thanks guys! He’s not come back, I think my quick inspection upset him - LOL. I’ll avoid touching him for awhile after he emerges next time.... now that I know better what’s happening.

The other crab is starting to stir stuff up now... don’t think he molted... :-/

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Tue May 21, 2019 5:03 pm

Crabbies are a hands off animal. I've had some come up for a few days then went back down. They come up, eat, drink and say "nope, not ready for this! Going back down to tunnel thru all this sand!"

Topic author
Poluikis2017

Post by Poluikis2017 » Tue May 21, 2019 5:11 pm

Hah, yes. I’m still learning ..... it’s been interesting. I have one who is VERY social, and the other is more shy. Funny enough I have seen them face off a few times and the less social crab always gets what he wants. Go figure.

Where is the best place for me to buy more shells ? I need to begin a larger rotation for them..... but we don’t have a lot of places around here - ordering online makes me nervous. Haha. Any recommendations welcome.

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Tue May 21, 2019 5:36 pm

Naples sea shells is where we get ours. There's always eBay. Just make sure you boil the shells and dip them in salt water before adding them to the tank. They are attracted to the salt water shells and are likely to try on some new homes! I believe it's like 5 shells per crab. That's what we go by.

Topic author
Poluikis2017

Post by Poluikis2017 » Wed May 22, 2019 8:01 am

Wonderful. Thanks for the information. They have like 8 total now , but I think they hate them all.

They are rotating who is up. The molted is back up today and his color is returning - and he is looking like he will be quite pretty.

His personality is also returning. They are both eating a LOT when they are up.

Thanks again.