how do i tell if my crab is ready to molt but hasn’t started

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
karishane

how do i tell if my crab is ready to molt but hasn’t started

Post by karishane » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:03 pm

so i just bought my crab from a store because my pervious one had passed after 8 years and i noticed it seemed like he wanted to molt and has changed shells about 4 times so can someone let me know what’s happening

Xenocrab

Re: how do i tell if my crab is ready to molt but hasn’t started

Post by Xenocrab » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:11 pm

Your guess is as good as mine! I look for 1. Did he eat a lot? They eat a lot before going down because they need all the energy they can get. 2. Did he drink a lot?
But, with crabs doing what they want, they don't always do that! Some of mine eat a lot before they go down, others don't eat at all.
Just watch and observe!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

crabby33

Post by crabby33 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:21 pm

Since you said you have a new crab, it is quite normal for them to de-stress and molt. It is unknown when it’s last molt was in the wild when it was captured. So as soon as hermit crabs find themselves in suitable conditions in the tanks we’re providing them, they are going to want to dig down and molt. It is highly recommended to leave them alone during this and never dig it up.

Some of the telltale signs of molting I have seen include:

* activity decline
* frequent shell changes
* “pigging out” at the food dish
* spending more time than usual around the water pools
* cloudy eyes
* faded exo skeleton
* digging “test” holes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:58 pm

He’s just trying on shells bc he hasn’t been able to for who knows how long. Some like to change a lot and others don’t. Changing shells could be a sign of molt but he’s fine, he’s just doing what crabbies do.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:08 pm

Personally, I don't keep track of what kinds of behavior might be leading up to a molt. Crabs don't need to be isolated or treated any differently for their molts. Be sure that you have enough substrate, and that all your conditions, including waters and food, are proper.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:51 pm

RiNiKy506 wrote:He’s just trying on shells bc he hasn’t been able to for who knows how long. Some like to change a lot and others don’t. Changing shells could be a sign of molt but he’s fine, he’s just doing what crabbies do. Image
Agreed, he’s just checking out his options.

I tried predicting molts for a time, but after a few years I got lazy and stopped bothering. Now it’s just “oh, look, my crabs are gone again” every now and then and they’ve all been doing well.

crabby33

Post by crabby33 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:54 pm

The last time my crabs molted was January and December. So I don’t know when they’re going to molt again.

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:30 pm

Crabbies gonna do what crabbies gonna do! And they won't let us know! They are the ultimate wild unknown, and here we are trying to do our best to keep them happy! Crabbers are a breed of our own! We love them and they don't care about us! We enjoy keeping them happy and healthy and they don't care!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.