How to know when exo has hardened?

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Hermit199013

How to know when exo has hardened?

Post by Hermit199013 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:04 pm

Had a crab just molt 2 days ago. He's been in iso since I realised he was on surface molting. Everything seems fine. He's been eating on the exoskeleton along with other food and has fresh and salt water.

My main question is how do I know when he can be released from iso? How to tell if he's hardened enough?
I read somewhere he needs to bathe before going back in tank when ready due to smelling like an appetizer....How to do that? Lol lots questions

Hermiesguardian

Re: How to know when exo has hardened?

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:45 pm

I think it can take 2 weeks or so to harden. I'm sure someone with more experience will give an answer.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:59 pm

If it were me, I'd wait a week and see how he's doing. Eating, activity and such. Then I'd dip him in salt water before adding him back into the tank. I'm not saying that's right or wrong, that's just what I'd do. When we get rescues or adopted crabs, we always dip them in salt water before introducing them into the tank with the other crabbies.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

Topic author
Hermit199013

Post by Hermit199013 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:26 pm

Xenocrab wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:59 pm
If it were me, I'd wait a week and see how he's doing. Eating, activity and such. Then I'd dip him in salt water before adding him back into the tank. I'm not saying that's right or wrong, that's just what I'd do. When we get rescues or adopted crabs, we always dip them in salt water before introducing them into the tank with the other crabbies.

Sounds like a plan to me, but when you say dip.. like fully submerge for second or two in saltwater? Or let him crawl out of saltwater pool?

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:30 pm

I dip for 2-3 seconds just to cover the whole crab. Another thing, what kinds of foods are you giving in the iso? I give honey, bee pollen and proteins (animals, bugs, worms, seafoods). Honey is good for energy. Pollen is healing and proteins, well that's just a given! Lol!
How is he behaving? He may be a bit shy after a molt.

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.