Almost finished with his exoskeleton. It's only day 2

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
BlazeTheWeirdo

Almost finished with his exoskeleton. It's only day 2

Post by BlazeTheWeirdo » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:53 pm

So yesterday I brought home a molted crab from the pet store. It was a totally fresh molt too. The entire exoskeleton was intact. Today he's been eating a lot... A LOT!! He's almost entirely finished with his exoskeleton. He only has a leg part left and it's only the 2nd day!! I know they usually eat the exoskeleton over the course of 2 weeks (given his size), but I've never seen it finished at this rate. What do I need to feed him for the rest of the 2 weeks once he's done with it?

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Almost finished with his exoskeleton. It's only day 2

Post by curlysister » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:39 pm

I would presume calcium. Not sure what else to add, maybe some protein?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
BlazeTheWeirdo

Post by BlazeTheWeirdo » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:50 pm

curlysister wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:39 pm
I would presume calcium. Not sure what else to add, maybe some protein?
I mixed together THCP basic diet for protein (https://www.hermitcrabpatch.com/THCP-Ba ... /ft460.htm) and THCP berry mix for color (https://www.hermitcrabpatch.com/THCP-Re ... /ft456.htm). I may crush some eggshells in with their food tonight just in case. I've never seen a crab eat this much before. It's a little insane. I don't think he stopped once today. I'm happy he's getting his nutrition though.

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:51 pm

Pretty much calcium and protein, with some sugar to boost (think honey or fruit).

Note that he may decide not to eat or drink for a few weeks while his exoskeleton hardens. Offer food and water, anyways, and he’ll take what he needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
BlazeTheWeirdo

Post by BlazeTheWeirdo » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:00 pm

JoeHermits wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:51 pm
Pretty much calcium and protein, with some sugar to boost (think honey or fruit).

Note that he may decide not to eat or drink for a few weeks while his exoskeleton hardens. Offer food and water, anyways, and he’ll take what he needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Okay. I may get some honey and crush some eggshells for him to cover all my bases. He has food fresh water and salt water. So I might have most of it covered except calcium.
Thank you