Digging

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.
User avatar

Topic author
Hermie escape artist
Posts: 461
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:16 pm

Digging

Post by Hermie escape artist » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:43 pm

Hi hermie is still under ... worried sand is still bone dry .. I pour water every once in a while in ... the sides but let's be honest it doesnt wet all the sand ... atleast it doesnt for me on the side I put water so ... it's been since feb .... with hope could of been the end of feb ... he is alone ... i havnt went digging for him yet but i want to ...

So when can i dig ? ..yes he is a bigger crabbie .. not sure jumbo yet but possible ... um he is alone no one can eat him ..but i dodnt want to mess up or interrupt him but what if the sand did collapse on hum would he die ?? The sand has been dry for ever now .... no there is no smell .... but with dry sand for months could he be ok ....??

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk



jvs1120
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:49 pm

Digging

Post by jvs1120 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:16 am




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by jvs1120 on Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.


jvs1120
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:49 pm

Re: Digging

Post by jvs1120 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:18 am

Hermie escape artist wrote:Hi hermie is still under ... worried sand is still bone dry .. I pour water every once in a while in ... the sides but let's be honest it doesnt wet all the sand ... atleast it doesnt for me on the side I put water so ... it's been since feb .... with hope could of been the end of feb ... he is alone ... i havnt went digging for him yet but i want to ...

So when can i dig ? ..yes he is a bigger crabbie .. not sure jumbo yet but possible ... um he is alone no one can eat him ..but i dodnt want to mess up or interrupt him but what if the sand did collapse on hum would he die ?? The sand has been dry for ever now .... no there is no smell .... but with dry sand for months could he be ok ....??

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
I have read that the bigger crabs can take up to a year or more to molt. Don’t dig him up.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar

Topic author
Hermie escape artist
Posts: 461
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:16 pm

Re: Digging

Post by Hermie escape artist » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:07 pm

jvs1120 wrote: I have read that the bigger crabs can take up to a year or more to molt. Don’t dig him up.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
K I know and I keep asking. . Trying to add more helpful information... just bothers me that the sand is dry; I thanks

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk


User avatar

Hermiesguardian
Posts: 2522
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:41 pm

Re: Digging

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:16 pm

It seems that no one is addressing the dry sand. Other than adding some water. But if it's as bone dry as you think that may not be enough. I would think that would be considered close to an emergency. I'm not experienced enough to suggest digging him up. Hopefully someone else will address it.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

User avatar

Topic author
Hermie escape artist
Posts: 461
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:16 pm

Re: Digging

Post by Hermie escape artist » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:58 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:It seems that no one is addressing the dry sand. Other than adding some water. But if it's as bone dry as you think that may not be enough. I would think that would be considered close to an emergency. I'm not experienced enough to suggest digging him up. Hopefully someone else will address it.
Thanks!! I been trying to express how dry the sand has been for months .. now ... just worried .. ya I dont know so i just let him there ... hoping he is ok ...

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk


User avatar

Jamison
Posts: 217
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:07 pm

Re: Digging

Post by Jamison » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:19 pm

Hermie escape artist wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:58 pm
Thanks!! I been trying to express how dry the sand has been for months .. now ... just worried .. ya I dont know so i just let him there ... hoping he is ok ...

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
If it's bone dry,dig. Good luck!
2 purple pinchers
1 old dog

I will miss you Lloyd! Good luck up In Hermie Heaven!
You to Hagrid!

User avatar

Topic author
Hermie escape artist
Posts: 461
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:16 pm

Re: Digging

Post by Hermie escape artist » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:40 pm

Jamison wrote: If it's bone dry,dig. Good luck!
K been bone dry for months.. worried... !

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk



jvs1120
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:49 pm

Re: Digging

Post by jvs1120 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:16 pm

I don’t know if this allowed, but there are some Hermit Crab Facebook Groups with really knowledgeable crab owners that might be able to address your dry sand issue. Join several and they might be able to help.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar

Topic author
Hermie escape artist
Posts: 461
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:16 pm

Re: Digging

Post by Hermie escape artist » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:28 pm

jvs1120 wrote:I don’t know if this allowed, but there are some Hermit Crab Facebook Groups with really knowledgeable crab owners that might be able to address your dry sand issue. Join several and they might be able to help.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! Ya I know never needed to go any where or ask anything any where else .. this forum has been all the info I needed but ! ... ya.. I know he could still be molting but if the sand is dry powder... been trying to express that ...but like crickets .. or everyone has been saying not to dig just wondering after all this time has passed .....

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk


User avatar

curlysister
Posts: 1320
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:54 pm
Location: Manitoba, Canada

Re: Digging

Post by curlysister » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:05 pm

I honestly thought you had been adding water all along, to remedy the dry sand problem. Is there a reason you didn't try to make the sand more moist?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

User avatar

Topic author
Hermie escape artist
Posts: 461
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:16 pm

Re: Digging

Post by Hermie escape artist » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:55 pm

curlysister wrote:I honestly thought you had been adding water all along, to remedy the dry sand problem. Is there a reason you didn't try to make the sand more moist?
Everyone told me to add water to the sides .. which I did but that didnt make all my sand moist it just makes the sides moist ...lol sooooo......... wasnt sure what to do besides listen to what I was being told ..... it soaks down in on the sides ! But it doesnt spread to the rest of the sand ...

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk



jvs1120
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:49 pm

Re: Digging

Post by jvs1120 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:55 am

I’m a new Hermit Crab owner so i am definitely not an expert. I only have EE in my tank, not sand, and I mist it a couple times a day to keep it moist. The Facebook Groups say “No! Don’t Mist, it can cause a flood in your tank!” But I do it. It also helps to keep my humidity level up. You could try misting the sand a little on top. But like I said I’m not an expert.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar

Topic author
Hermie escape artist
Posts: 461
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:16 pm

Re: Digging

Post by Hermie escape artist » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:28 am

jvs1120 wrote:I’m a new Hermit Crab owner so i am definitely not an expert. I only have EE in my tank, not sand, and I mist it a couple times a day to keep it moist. The Facebook Groups say “No! Don’t Mist, it can cause a flood in your tank!” But I do it. It also helps to keep my humidity level up. You could try misting the sand a little on top. But like I said I’m not an expert.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ya I was gonna do that but didnt think was gonna affect all the sand underneath....I have sand and ee ... I passed my 1 yr mark for my crabbie couple month ago . So ..know some but still learning also ... my sand gets dry quicker.. idk why .. I put plenty of wet EE mixed with sand for a sand castle consistancy but maybe cause been so long .. but also had a heater all winter to so ! I just mixed in more water as I can and its fine but he been down so long ... so I cant so misting and adding water to sides will help but it's been 4-5
And it was still cold ... when he first went down so heater was still on ... now I can take the heat off .. more ...but that's now

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk


User avatar

curlysister
Posts: 1320
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:54 pm
Location: Manitoba, Canada

Re: Digging

Post by curlysister » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:53 pm

If you haven't been adding any moisture for a while, and your sand is truly that dry, you should probably gently dig for the crab. Are your temp and humidity correct? You will need to have proper conditions, so that if the crab is alive, you can give it the best chance of survival.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Post Reply