moving with molting crabs

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
crabsarecute

moving with molting crabs

Post by crabsarecute » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:57 pm

I am to be moving by the end of September (I'm writing this in august) and my crabs just went under i think to molt and one of them just came up but the other one is molting and it usually takes her a long time to come up so I was wondering if anyone had tips as to how to move with a crab in molt the tank is to hevy for e to lift with all the dirt in it and I realize how bad it is to dig up molting crabs I don't know what to do and would greatly appreciate any advice. :crabbigsmile:
just an animal mom, I have too many but love them all and want more oof

Xenocrab

Re: moving with molting crabs

Post by Xenocrab » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:08 pm

If you end up needing to dig, have iso tanks/containers for each crab.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:41 am

I wouldn’t move the tank with the crabs molting, their tunnels can collapse from the tank being moved. If they don’t come up in time, I’d recommend getting a few Tupperware containers and digging for them at an angle. When you find a crab take a spoon and pick it up by scooping the substrate underneath it up, then gently placing it in the Tupperware. Good luck on the move!
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Merle, Seasalt, & Elvis
2 Captive Bred PPs = Randy & Roxie
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

Maimers

Post by Maimers » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:57 pm

I am in the same boat, except we're new to crabs. Like really new. Got some on vacation, set up their tank, and the next day one went under. I'm going to wait as long as possible but we close on our house Sept. 17. I may have to gently dig him (or her. We haven't looked yet) up. Here's hoping for a fast molt and recovery.

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:34 am

What they said; I recently had to move some crabs myself, and we used a tote with an inch or two of sand, not much, but enough, with some moss and munchies, the water bowls present but empty til we got done in the car. We did have to dig a molter up- well, two actually! (Long story) What they said is perfect for digging them out last minute, make sure you look carefully for any other extra bits of exo that could have gotten covered when excavating and moving. When we got them out, we placed them in a depression in the sand in a Kristen Keeper, then placed a coconut over top with a leaf and moss to keep the leaf ‘door shut’ with the lid on top too. I just left the whole thing in the tank until they were ready to come out- it is super nerve wracking but when done ‘right’ it will usually be ok. Congrats on the new home, and good luck with the move!