Crab molting only halfway buried

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
arosenbaum

Crab molting only halfway buried

Post by arosenbaum » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:51 pm

I have 2 crabs, I've had them for about 6 weeks. One of them started molting the day after I got them, and came up just a couple weeks ago (~month long molt). He seems to be doing really well, and is active, loves to climb, and has a good appetite. My other crab just went down to molt about a week or so ago, and only seems to be only half buried. The substrate is at least 6 inches deep, but he didn't dig down very far. About 1/4 of his shell is still above ground. Nothing else abnormal that I've noticed...just didn't know if it was something I should be concerned about. Do the crabs come out of their shells when they molt? I wondered if he maybe just left his shell above ground and dig down further "naked" to molt? I haven't dug around or anything obviously so as not to disturb him, but I want to make sure everything is ok. This is my first time having crabs, and I have been learning so much!! They are like having kids for the first time almost! I try not to worry about them too much, but I don't know what's normal and what's not, so everytime something new/unexpected happens, I don't know what to do! Thankful for this community to help me learn how to best take care of these little guys!!
RIP Holmes and Watson: in hermie heaven since 10/2019.

Hermiesguardian

Re: Crab molting only halfway buried

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:03 am

No, they don't leave their shells to molt. It's possible he's not molting, just destressing or hanging out.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi