Crabby has resurfaced but Mr Crabs is still sluggish after assumed first molt with us.

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Links

Crabby has resurfaced but Mr Crabs is still sluggish after assumed first molt with us.

Post by Links » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:24 pm

Crabby is back up after his longest hiatus yet. Seems like it’s been 1 month. This is his 3rd assumed molt with us. So that’s 2-3 molts in 9 months.

Crabby is our original crab and the reason for this addiction/monstrosity.

We acquired Crabby in October from Gulf shores, Alabama. I wasn’t interested in taking care of a hermit crab but our daughter talked mommy into it. Crabby stayed in that cage for 2-3 days and endured the ride back to Ky. The whole time he was in that cage he just sat in the corner never moving. I knew something wasn’t right. Thankfully I found HCA! And thankfully I had an empty 55 gal in the garage.

Luckily he recovered quickly. He’s always been very active. He immediately changed shells as soon as I put what random shells I had in the tank. Since then I’ve purchased numerous shells but he’s still in the one he chose first. He was so small he could hide completely out of sight in that shell. He’s grown in each molt and now he might only be able to get his big claw to fit just inside the opening.

Upon his resurfacing I caught him on camera hugging the worm casting/green sand / calcium dish. He ate it all. He also ate almost all of the flower/leaf/bug dish. And maybe some honey too. Not sure The fruit and veggies were touched nor the oyster, lobster and shrimp. I haven’t seen him visit the water yet either.

He’s already been climbing and walking on the wheel. He made a quick visit to Mr crabs who’s been sluggish after his first assumed molt with us. Mr Crabs and Crabby are my profile pic.

We purchased Mr Crabs and Crabetha who were much bigger than Crabby after a week or two of owning Crabby. Crabetha molted fairly quickly after purchasing. She was down for 2 months But passed away after the molt. Maybe nitrates in my water were to blame. I don’t know. But she did have a dark spot on her gills. I inspected after she passed.

Mr Crabs has been up for a few weeks now after being down for more than 2 months. He’s still sluggish. He visits the saltwater and maybe eats. I don’t know if he’s eating or not. He inches his way around the tank. He’s changed shells a lot after this assumed molt. But he always goes back to a shell too small. He’s also missing a limb. He did seem to struggle back around the time we lost Crabetha but eventually became more active. I hope he pulls through this time.

Anyway here’s a couple pictures. One with Mr crabs by the water and Crabby on some drift wood. The closeup is Crabby. It’s the best I could do for now.

Also as of now Crabby is hugging the worm poo dish again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrabbyLover77

Re: Crabby has resurfaced but Mr Crabs is still sluggish after assumed first molt with us.

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:54 am

The color pic looks like something from a horror movie, like he's coming to get me haha!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

My Pets: 2 Pomeranians, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 13 hermit crabs.
"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Topic author
Links

Re: Crabby has resurfaced but Mr Crabs is still sluggish after assumed first molt with us.

Post by Links » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:40 am

CrabbyLover77 wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:54 am
The color pic looks like something from a horror movie, like he's coming to get me haha! Image

He is a bit sneaky lately!

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:59 am

CrabbyLover77 wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:54 am
The color pic looks like something from a horror movie, like he's coming to get me haha! Image

I thought the same thing! Imagine him 20ft tall.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Links

Post by Links » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:09 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:59 am
I thought the same thing! Imagine him 20ft tall.
Lol he works the tank like he’s big stuff.

Topic author
Links

Post by Links » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:56 am

Ok, we don’t want Crabby to be so scary. Here’s a new picture. And I just now saw Mr Crabs in the freshwater. I thought he hadn’t moved for 2 days so I guess it’s good news. Image

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:18 am

Links wrote:Ok, we don’t want Crabby to be so scary. Here’s a new picture. And I just now saw Mr Crabs in the freshwater. I thought he hadn’t moved for 2 days so I guess it’s good news. Image

These are much less scary and much more cute haha! Thanks for sharing! Image

My Pets: 2 Pomeranians, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 13 hermit crabs.
"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-

Topic author
Links

Post by Links » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:20 pm

Yes. Haha. But I feel so bad for Mr Crabs. He seems like he’s still struggling.

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:24 pm

Links wrote:Yes. Haha. But I feel so bad for Mr Crabs. He seems like he’s still struggling.
Aw sorry Mr. Crabs isn't feeling his best. But I'm sure he's in good hands.

Topic author
Links

Post by Links » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:53 am

It appears Mr Crabs is giving up. 😞 He starting to go naked.
Man it’s hard for me to handle crab deaths. Fish never bothered me too much I guess because it was expected. Since I know crabs live are suppose to live longer it’s hard to keep my head up.

I’ve had him 8 months. He went through a lethargic stage but the last couple months he seemed to be ok before he finally molted. But his molt doesn’t appear to have been successful.

Crabby will be alone now.

Topic author
Links

Post by Links » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:01 pm

Mr Crabs has passed away. May he Rest In Peace.

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:18 pm

Links wrote:Mr Crabs has passed away. May he Rest In Peace.
Aw I'm so sorry! It sounds like you did everything right and there wasn't anything more you could've done. Image

Topic author
Links

Post by Links » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:29 pm

CrabbyLover77 wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:18 pm
Aw I'm so sorry! It sounds like you did everything right and there wasn't anything more you could've done. Image

Thank you