Substrate texture

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
crabbycasey

Substrate texture

Post by crabbycasey » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:45 pm

I’m a new crab owner and have had lots of help with my crabbies here, so thankful. After losing 2 small PP recently I was reluctant to get another, but needed to give my medium PP (Hermie) some companionship so went and got another one today that is about the same size. My crabitat is all set up properly and HCA approved....but...my new guy immediately dug himself under and although I have a 5:1 ratio of playsand/coconut substrate and mist regularly with a 80-85% humidity, I noticed as he was digging that it wasn’t the sandcastle texture that I’ve now read about. I didn’t realize I needed to MIX in dechlorinated water throughout all of it. This means that only my top layer was the right texture and I’m wondering what could happen if my substrate isn’t the right consistency for tunneling and molting...and/or how can I fix it if my new guy went under to molt already? It’s plenty deep, 6”. Never had this concern before bc Hermie has never dug himself under and I’ve had him just since Sept 24th this year. Any advice for me? Want them to have optimal conditions! Especially stressed bc of my recent loss with the other 2. Thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Substrate texture

Post by curlysister » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:59 pm

If your new crab just dug under today, it is very unlikely that he started molting immediately, especially if the sub isn't sand castle consistency when he got a little way down.
If you are certain that your sub is only moistened on the top, you could consider digging up the one that went under today (as long as nobody else is down). And then add dechlor water and mix it in. Or if you don't want to dig up today's crab (or if another is down), you could add water along the edges, a little at a time, and it will seep into the main body of the sub.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
crabbycasey

Post by crabbycasey » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:57 pm

curlysister wrote:If your new crab just dug under today, it is very unlikely that he started molting immediately, especially if the sub isn't sand castle consistency when he got a little way down.
If you are certain that your sub is only moistened on the top, you could consider digging up the one that went under today (as long as nobody else is down). And then add dechlor water and mix it in. Or if you don't want to dig up today's crab (or if another is down), you could add water along the edges, a little at a time, and it will seep into the main body of the sub.
Oh thank you so much!! I’ll see how the situation looks in the morning and make the call. How much dechlorinated water would I add to 6” in a 10 gallon for the right consistency? And if I go with the 2nd solution, just do a little at a time what, 3 times a day? Image

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:56 pm

crabbycasey wrote: Oh thank you so much!! I’ll see how the situation looks in the morning and make the call. How much dechlorinated water would I add to 6” in a 10 gallon for the right consistency? And if I go with the 2nd solution, just do a little at a time what, 3 times a day? Image

If you decide to take the substrate out, I'd put small portions of it in a bucket, and add a little water at a time and mix well. Then give it a feel. If it holds it's shape that's good. But if water drips out from your hand when you squeeze, it's too wet.
If you decide to add water around the edges, I would say 1/day, but not 100% sure. Curly might have a better suggestion on how often.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav