species & molting time

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
CrabbyIrene

species & molting time

Post by CrabbyIrene » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:19 pm

Those of you guys with multiple species, do you find some species molt faster then others? Particularly E's vs PP's?
7 PP's, 5 crazy E's!
Crabby since 2007

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:23 pm

I've got Es and PPs, and the Es have always molted much faster than comparatively sized PPs. Es seem to only take a few weeks while the same sized PPs take 4 to 6. :)
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

MudCrabDude

Post by MudCrabDude » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:35 pm

I also noticed C. brevimanus seem to molt faster than similar-sized C. clypeatus.

However, I don't know the comparison between C. brevimanus and the aforementioned C. compressus. :D

SojMad

Post by SojMad » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:38 pm

I have four species, and C. compressus are definitely the fastest molters. Last time my E molted I barely noticed she was gone, I just thought she was digging for fun. :P So it did NOT take long for her to molt that time, maybe two weeks or so maximum. And the time before that, it took about twenty days.
C. clypeatus is the slowest, taking almost always at least four to six weeks to molt (as wodesorel said), or even more.
C. brevimanus and C. rugosus are pretty much alike I think, when it comes to the time; It almost never takes more than a month for them to molt.
C. brevimanus
C. rugosus
C. clypeatus
C. cavipes
C. violascens

Topic author
CrabbyIrene

Post by CrabbyIrene » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:27 am

I thought I was imagining things! LOL! I just had 1 of my new E's go down on 5/25 & she came back up on 6/9, my other E went down on 5/22 & came back 6/10, my viola molted somewhere between 6/1 - 6/10 (but she's so darn tiny that 10 days is probably normal for any species that are that size) My E's are smalls but WOW! 2 1/2-3 weeks is fast! Why can't my PP's do that? LOL!
Thanks guys for your info & your help, I appreciate it. If anyone has molting info on the different species please keep it coming!
7 PP's, 5 crazy E's!
Crabby since 2007

Crab Addict

Post by Crab Addict » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:53 pm

I've noticed the same trend with E's being quicker, I've also noticed that E's tend to grow more with each molt that any other species, which is odd considering they are one of the smaller species.

Topic author
CrabbyIrene

Post by CrabbyIrene » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:44 am

I've also noticed that E's tend to grow more with each molt that any other species, which is odd considering they are one of the smaller species.
that is odd...:scratch:
7 PP's, 5 crazy E's!
Crabby since 2007