Health: Is My Hermit Crab Molting or Dying?
Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:48 pm
For someone new to keeping hermit crabs this can be a confusing time. Some of the symptoms of molting can also be symptoms of impending death. It can be hard to tell the difference especially if you have just purchased your crab. First of all there are symptoms of molting.
- Consuming large amounts of water or soaking in the dish
- Cloudy Eyes
- Ashy looking exo
- Lethargy (being extremely inactive)
- Dig down in the substrate, either to ‘destress’ for a few days or weeks, or to molt
- Consume large amounts of water (or food) or soak in the dish
- Be very lethargic
- Find a way to protect it from other crabs in the tank. A molting crab can be an irresistible snack to other crabs!
- Leave the crab completely in peace other than to change the water and food