Ordering from Richard's Sea Shells

For topics on hermit crab related stores, and member reviews of them. Also for asking where to find an item. Retailers, please read the sticky regarding our rules before posting!

Topic author
crabby33

Ordering from Richard's Sea Shells

Post by crabby33 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:43 am

I was looking at shells to order from Richard's, particularly fluctuosus, and it says the opening is 59/64th which I don't think is accurate. I'm concerned that may be too small.

ciaraalston

Re: Ordering from Richard's Sea Shells

Post by ciaraalston » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:38 am

i found some awesome shells at Naples. They have the shell size AND the opening size, so it helps you pick a little easier. They have great prices too! I've never ordered from Richards though....
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:08 am

I love Richards! You would need to tell them that the shells are for hermit crabs so that they check them for holes, etc. Do you have a caliper? That is how they measure the shell opening. You can pick up a relatively nice one on amazon for around $8. I personally prefer the digital ones. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
crabby33

Post by crabby33 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:45 pm

I have a caliper but I use measuring tape to measure my shell openings.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:22 pm

crabby33 wrote:I have a caliper but I use measuring tape to measure my shell openings.
A caliper is more accurate at measuring the inside of a shell than measuring tape would be.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Tnguo

Post by Tnguo » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:57 pm

I was actually hoping to find guidelines for Richard's measurements. I've seen opening sizes for 32/64th and 14/32nd and various other sizes. I'm assuming that's in millimeters? Why are some listed in mm and others in inches?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Topic author
crabby33

Post by crabby33 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:08 pm

My guess is they’re measuring the length of the shell, not the opening. I prefer to buy from places that measure the opening hole. Like Mygann’s or Naples.

Tnguo

Post by Tnguo » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:42 pm

They have separate numbers for shell length and shell opening, so it's definitely shell opening. I think those measurements are fractions of an inch, when I think about it some more. It was kind of confusing for a while, I'll be honest haha. But I think that's what I'll go with. Thanks!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:45 pm

It is fractions of an inch, units so small that really only carpenters and other professions that need exactness use. It's kind of silly when it comes to hermit crab shells. 1/8 is plenty!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Tnguo

Post by Tnguo » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:50 pm

wodesorel wrote:It is fractions of an inch, units so small that really only carpenters and other professions that need exactness use. It's kind of silly when it comes to hermit crab shells. 1/8 is plenty!
Thanks for the confirmation! I had been about to email them about it but was like... Let's ask someone first ::)

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:49 pm

59/64 is between a 7/8" and 1", only 1/32 under 15/16
32/64 is a 1/2"
14/32 is 7/16"

We build wooden roller coasters and for the structure we generally will only go to between 1/8" and 1/16" for cutting the lumber. Most tape measures only go down to measure to 1/16". A 32nd is half of a 16th. A dime may be around 1/16" thick. Wodesorel is right. Shells for crabs only need to be broken down 1/8". I can't see a crab getting that particular with choosing a shell.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:23 am

Tnguo wrote:I was actually hoping to find guidelines for Richard's measurements. I've seen opening sizes for 32/64th and 14/32nd and various other sizes. I'm assuming that's in millimeters? Why are some listed in mm and others in inches?

Millimeters do not measure in fractions - its small enough anyway, and anything smaller will require high tech equipment/microscope.... If you want to measure a half (or whatever unit) of the metric system, its commonly accepted to round off or use decimal.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies