Molting/hibernating

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
Riceyandspicy

Molting/hibernating

Post by Riceyandspicy » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:13 pm

I have 3 crabs in a 10 gallon tank with 6in substrate. It is midwinter in MN and its cold but the temp inside their tank is kept at 77-81 and the humidity ranging from 80-90% all of them are buried in their substrate. 2 of the big crabs have probably been under for almost 1 month and a small one recently came up then went back down after a week. Im guessing the bigger crabs are still molting but do crabs go through hibernation periods?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AwesomeHermit

Re: Molting/hibernating

Post by AwesomeHermit » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:06 pm

I read somewhere on here that crabs only hibernate if the temperatures are dangerously low. I also read that crabs hibernating permanently affects their lives.

One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:34 am

I read the same info regarding that, BUT the key was that it was triggered by a low temp and it was a forced sort of thing. From all I’ve read, if no smell, they’ll basically come up when they’re up. I know I’m new so you don’t have to listen to me, but it sounds to me like they’re just taking their sweet time. And that they’re very sneaky lol. Good luck, hope everyone shows up for you soon!

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:41 pm

I've found that during winter that crabs tend to become a little more 'inactive' regardless of tank temperature and humidity... Rather it's due to the duration of daylight/night cycle. I swear others have noted similar tends, but I can't remember who exactly..
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies