Offering New Shells

This is where you discuss shells for your hermit crabs. Not for selling/swapping shells, use Classified Ads for that.

Topic author
amwilliams

Offering New Shells

Post by amwilliams » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:27 am

Do you guys trade out the shells that are offered to your hermies very often? I feel like mine have all touched each shell available a few times and goodness knows they've changed them one bazillion times. If they are still all appropriate size, do you just keep the same ones until the crabs molt? Or do you just toss in some new ones every once in awhile?

CrabMater

Re: Offering New Shells

Post by CrabMater » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:44 am

Hi, I have a 2 Qt Mason jar full of shells. Every week-10 days or so I'll rotate the shells in my crabitat. The hermies love shell swaping. Its a social event with lots of feelers all over and good natured pushing. Gives everybody something to do.
CrabMater to 2PPs : John & Diana (formerly Cherry Bomb)
Crabbin' since June '16 (RIP Pinchy 7/16 / RIP Dean )

MORE SUBSTRATE!

bugboy2

Post by bugboy2 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:39 pm

At our place we have shell swap Sunday every week! :lol:

hermitharbor

Offering New Shells

Post by hermitharbor » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:53 pm

I have two shower caddies, one with big shells and one with smaller shells. So I have a ton. I just keep them all in there since I have crabs of varying sizes, but I will remove them every so often and clean them all (my guys like to use the shops as their bathroom ).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Follow me on my crab blog! Hermit Harbor

The 6 PPs of The Harbor: Ama (♀), Nora (♀), Neptune (♂), Lir (♂), Allie (♀), Bongo (♂)
The 2 E's of The Fiefdom: Nami (♀), Unnamed (♀)

Crabnado

Post by Crabnado » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:41 am

My crabs are fashionistas. They like to have a variety of shells to play with. I have two quart containers full of them but only keep about 6-10 in the tank at a time so they always seem 'new' when I swap them out every couple of weeks. I have some flat shells and broken bits too that I occasionally swap out. They like to use the flat ones to make stepping stones into the water dishes and the broken bits give them something to bury.

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:27 pm

Sometimes I'll swap out shells I haven't seen them exhibit much interest in, them add them again later... but there are a few staple shells that my guys are generally switching between & and if I've seen a crab wear a shell at any point, even just for a little bit, I never remove it.
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

Hermit-Yote

Post by Hermit-Yote » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:39 am

CrabMater wrote:Hi, I have a 2 Qt Mason jar full of shells. Every week-10 days or so I'll rotate the shells in my crabitat. The hermies love shell swaping. Its a social event with lots of feelers all over and good natured pushing. Gives everybody something to do.
Never thought of that! I'll have to try it out!
"Until we extend our circle of compassion to all living things, humanity will not find peace."
—Albert Schweitzer