Hello! Shell question

This is where you discuss shells for your hermit crabs. Not for selling/swapping shells, use Classified Ads for that.

Topic author
AndyCrabby

Hello! Shell question

Post by AndyCrabby » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:35 pm

Hello I'm about to start crabbing. I still haven't gotten my crabs yet but I will soon. Still researching and gathering supplies. I'm going to get three crabs but I don't know how big they will be. Should I wait till I get them to buy appropriately sized shells or should I just start buying natural shells in different sizes now?

HeyItsEggs

Re: Hello! Shell question

Post by HeyItsEggs » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:55 pm

I would buy the shells and the crabs on the same day. Buy the necessities the day you buy the crabs. Thats my suggestion, but I am gonna let another crabber chime in.
Sophia aka "Eggs"
Four PPs, Rio, Rolo, Curlz and Malibu in a 40 gallon
May they rest in peace- Mango- 1/13/17 and Stefanio- 1/10/17

Hermias_mom

Post by Hermias_mom » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:55 pm

You kinda want to know how big the crabs are you want to buy before you get them, in my opinion. For instance, if you have a 10 gallon tank, two crab is the recommended amount because each crab needs about 5 gallons of space. That is, two small or medium crabs. For jumbo crabs, minimum recommendation is 15 gallons and some folks recommend more, and you need a MUCH larger tank. Also, minimum recommendation for substrate depth is 3 times the height of your biggest crab or at least 6 inches, whichever is more. The type of crab matters too when determining depth of substrate. Check the individual species care sheets for recommendations - some species need significantly more substrate. You may have done all this already. Just thought I'd mention it.

But you asked about shells. If you're sure what species crab is available in your area and that you plan to buy, and have a general idea what sizes are available to purchase, seems fine to me to get a few shells now. But I wouldn't go all out until after you have them so you know exactly what size they need. Be sure to check the preferred shell guide on this forum first so you get the right kind of shells for your species. Wasting money is no fun :(

Also might want to get three different sized crabs to try and avoid shell fights. No guarantees that they'll stay different sizes, but it might be something to try.

And I've got to say, most crabbers will recommend adopting crabs instead of purchasing them from a pet store. Craigslist, offer up, etc. are good places to look. Most of the pet industry promotes land hermit crabs as throwaway pets, when if cared for appropriately they can live happily for many years. Maybe there's not much that one individual person can do to fight the tide of misinformation and mistreatment, but helping educate others and voting with your wallet are two things that we can do. Just my two cents. That being said, I looked in my area for some crabs to adopt and could not find any, so I went the pet store route, but I'm still looking because I really want my next crabs to be adoptees.

Best of luck, and have fun crabbing!
4PPs and tons of FUN in a 29 gallon!
Hermia(F), Helena(F), Branch(M), and Tiger (M)
RIP Athena

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:37 pm

Agree with above. I just want to add most crabs I've seen seem to need shells around the 1 to 2 inch she'll size openings.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Life_Is_Good2me

Post by Life_Is_Good2me » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:50 pm

Where are you located? I'm looking for someone to adopt my crabs and all their supplies are going with them. I guess the chances of you living close by are pretty slim but just thought I'd ask.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Life_Is_Good2me

Post by Life_Is_Good2me » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:54 pm

I'm in Syracuse, NY.

HeyItsEggs

Post by HeyItsEggs » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:40 pm

Life_Is_Good2me wrote:I'm in Syracuse, NY.

Hey! I am in Syracuse too!
Sophia aka "Eggs"

Life_Is_Good2me

Post by Life_Is_Good2me » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:28 pm

That's cool...it's a small world! Most people on here are from the south! Lol I have 2 hermit crabs that are currently molting but I'm trying to find a new home for them. Do you know anyone local who would be interested in adopting them?

HeyItsEggs

Post by HeyItsEggs » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:40 pm

Yeah! Did you know hermits kitchen is located in Fulton? Idk I could ask my friends but I am young so it is hard to get in contact with people that I don't know. I wish I was older. I am adopting two hermits from my friend who doesn't want hers. My other friend doesn't have enough space. Sorry. I could try to sort things out

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Sophia aka "Eggs"

Topic author
AndyCrabby

Post by AndyCrabby » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:34 pm

Life_Is_Good2me wrote:Where are you located? I'm looking for someone to adopt my crabs and all their supplies are going with them. I guess the chances of you living close by are pretty slim but just thought I'd ask.

I actually live in the NYC! Queens to be exact .I have a 20 gallon tank and I'm currently finding how get sand from home depot although I do have cocofiber at home.

HeyItsEggs

Post by HeyItsEggs » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:31 pm

AndyCrabby wrote:
Life_Is_Good2me wrote:Where are you located? I'm looking for someone to adopt my crabs and all their supplies are going with them. I guess the chances of you living close by are pretty slim but just thought I'd ask.

I actually live in the NYC! Queens to be exact .I have a 20 gallon tank and I'm currently finding how get sand from home depot although I do have cocofiber at home.
You are actually about 5 and a half hours from us, thats really far depending on how far Life_Is_Good2me is willing to go
Sophia aka "Eggs"

Topic author
AndyCrabby

Post by AndyCrabby » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:44 pm

HeyItsEggs wrote:
AndyCrabby wrote:

You are actually about 5 and a half hours from us, thats really far depending on how far Life_Is_Good2me is willing to go
Oh wow I didn't know upstate NY was so far away by car.
I'd be pretty happy to take their crabs but idk how long they'll happily live in a 20 and if Life_Is_Good2me would be able to travel that distance

HeyItsEggs

Post by HeyItsEggs » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:03 pm

Well we are considered "Central New York"

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Sophia aka "Eggs"

Life_Is_Good2me

Post by Life_Is_Good2me » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:30 am

Oh that stinks...so close bit so far away! Lol I have 3 children i would have to take along so that would be too far too drive, there and back. :( I also just found out you can't transport them when they are molting so i will have to wait until they come up before i can find them a new home. But let me know if you guys know anyone closer to me.

CrabMater

Post by CrabMater » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:15 pm

Hey Andy, im in the Bronx.
But Id buy shells once you have your crabs.
CrabMater to 2PPs : John & Diana (formerly Cherry Bomb)
Crabbin' since June '16 (RIP Pinchy 7/16 / RIP Dean )

MORE SUBSTRATE!