What kind of shells are these?

This is where you discuss shells for your hermit crabs. Not for selling/swapping shells, use Classified Ads for that.

Topic author
Shananagians

What kind of shells are these?

Post by Shananagians » Thu May 04, 2017 11:41 pm

I got a huge mixed back of turbos and oyster shells, but there was a fair few of these mixed in as well, I was wondering what kind they were, as well as if they were crab preferred or not. I'm leaning more towards not based on shape, but am open to second opinions.

Hermias_mom

Re: What kind of shells are these?

Post by Hermias_mom » Thu May 04, 2017 11:56 pm

Those look like trochus. Not a preferred shell for purple pinchers, but often found on small crabs in the wild. Here's what the shell guide had to say about them. See if the picture matches your shells:

http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 24&t=92552

Excerpt below:
8.) Tectus conus, or any shell of the genus Trochus a.k.a. strawberry top, cone shell

These shells are very attractive and look somewhat like turbo shells. They often come in green and red, but other colors do exist. Some hermit crabs in the wild (especially the young ones) will sometimes wear these shells. But in captivity, they prefer other types, and will rarely go back to this genus if given the choice. The spiral goes up instead of to the side, and sticks out quite far. The shells are also very thick, heavy, the openings are small, and there are often ridges in the opening. The crabs will spend a lot of extra energy carrying this shell, only small ones will fit in the opening, and the ridges will prevent most crabs from changing into them.
4PPs and tons of FUN in a 29 gallon!
Hermia(F), Helena(F), Branch(M), and Tiger (M)
RIP Athena

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Fri May 05, 2017 5:32 pm

I keep getting them with adoptees, and the former owners are, like, "they never change shells, but here, take them!"

I have a little row of them on my bookshelf now. :|
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

Topic author
Shananagians

Post by Shananagians » Fri May 05, 2017 6:20 pm

Hermias_mom wrote:Those look like trochus. Not a preferred shell for purple pinchers, but often found on small crabs in the wild. Here's what the shell guide had to say about them. See if the picture matches your shells:

http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 24&t=92552

Excerpt below:
8.) Tectus conus, or any shell of the genus Trochus a.k.a. strawberry top, cone shell

These shells are very attractive and look somewhat like turbo shells. They often come in green and red, but other colors do exist. Some hermit crabs in the wild (especially the young ones) will sometimes wear these shells. But in captivity, they prefer other types, and will rarely go back to this genus if given the choice. The spiral goes up instead of to the side, and sticks out quite far. The shells are also very thick, heavy, the openings are small, and there are often ridges in the opening. The crabs will spend a lot of extra energy carrying this shell, only small ones will fit in the opening, and the ridges will prevent most crabs from changing into them.
That's them! I didn't realize there was a guide in shell types, but thank you for the information!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Shananagians

Post by Shananagians » Fri May 05, 2017 6:21 pm

LadyJinglyJones wrote:I keep getting them with adoptees, and the former owners are, like, "they never change shells, but here, take them!"

Yeah, I didn't think they would like them, but I wanted to double check, the opening looks a little too small, even on the largest shell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Fri May 05, 2017 9:37 pm

LadyJinglyJones wrote:I keep getting them with adoptees, and the former owners are, like, "they never change shells, but here, take them!"

I'm going to start making jewelry with unwearable shells. We get so many with adoptions...

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

Hermias_mom

Post by Hermias_mom » Fri May 05, 2017 10:42 pm

Those trochus though, they're like fancy rocks. Heavy and pointed. I think I'll start keeping a couple in the car to bust out my windshield in case I get trapped during an accident. Or maybe I'll build a trochus-covered mountain or rock-wall for the crabs to climb. I have at least 10 of them. Most of my trochus came in the mixed shell bags from the craft store when I was trying to buy green turbos. They are all 2-3" tall. Huge, rocklike paperweights, self defense objects for my purse, decorative flower-bed edging... Yeah, I don't know what to do with them. :)

I think I'll make windchimes. For the tornadoes. We get a lot of those here. That could work. :D
4PPs and tons of FUN in a 29 gallon!
Hermia(F), Helena(F), Branch(M), and Tiger (M)
RIP Athena

Nate the great

Post by Nate the great » Sat May 06, 2017 3:16 pm

soilentgringa wrote:

I'm going to start making jewelry with unwearable shells. We get so many with adoptions...

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk
I used to crush them and use them as a calcium supplement.
Currently the caretaker for:
Six hermies in 37G bow front, and two more in a ten-gallon tank.

I build websites, and blog about ebooks.