Need teeny tiny shells (anyone live near a beach?)

This is where you discuss shells for your hermit crabs. Not for selling/swapping shells, use Classified Ads for that.

Topic author
rml6f4

Post by rml6f4 » Sat May 12, 2018 3:08 pm

Hello! My crab had babies and I’m attempting to raise them in captivity. I’m at about day 16 and suspect that any day they may start becoming interested in shells. However, I’m struggling to find shells small enough (have checked craft stores, Etsy, eBay, Amazon, etc.). I need shells that are 1mm - 2mm. Like I’m talking -

(Image credit to Nat Addicted to HC’s)

Does anyone know where online I could purchase shells small enough or if someone can send me shells small enough or shell grit that I could pick through I’m willing to PayPal shipping costs.

Thank you.

AwesomeHermit

Re: Need teeny tiny shells (anyone live near a beach?)

Post by AwesomeHermit » Sat May 12, 2018 3:09 pm

I remember @Wolfnipplechips had some for Renroc?
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat May 12, 2018 8:14 pm

I bought tiny shells when I was going try, but I don't know if they are small enough. PM me your address and I will get them out on Monday! If you're too far away and need them quick I might ask a few bucks for faster shipping.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

CrabHappens

Post by CrabHappens » Sat May 12, 2018 10:23 pm

I have some pretty tiny shells in the hopes one day, maybe I would need them but I can always get more should the need arise! I have no idea how to ship things but I will go to the post office Monday to see. What species are the babies, do you know?

Feel free to message me and we can go from there, I'm so happy for you! Also, maybe etsy?

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Sun May 13, 2018 12:18 am

If desperate you might try buying shell grit for birds and sifting through that for okay shells? It would not be fun, but you might get a good number in the absurdly-small size range.

Related note: anyone know if anyone has offered fresh water aquarium snail shells to megalopa with success? I ask because ive always got a metric too-many on hand.
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun May 13, 2018 12:50 am

LadyJinglyJones wrote:Related note: anyone know if anyone has offered fresh water aquarium snail shells to megalopa with success? I ask because ive always got a metric too-many on hand.
Not that i know of, but it could work - epsecially species like Mayalasian Trumpet snails, which have a loose 'oval' shape opening...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
rml6f4

Post by rml6f4 » Sun May 13, 2018 12:04 pm

CrabHappens wrote:I have some pretty tiny shells in the hopes one day, maybe I would need them but I can always get more should the need arise! I have no idea how to ship things but I will go to the post office Monday to see. What species are the babies, do you know?

Feel free to message me and we can go from there, I'm so happy for you! Also, maybe etsy?
I messaged Wodesorel, if that falls through I’ll message you next. Thank you for offering!!!!

Thanks! The babies are from a Strawberry Hermit Crab. And I looked at Etsy (only briefly) and the smallest shells seemed to start at 4mm.

CrabHappens

Post by CrabHappens » Sun May 13, 2018 4:49 pm

No problem! it's amazing that your strawbabies are having babies! :)

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun May 13, 2018 5:24 pm

If anyone has seriously tiny shells, please consider sending them.

I have the smallest commercial mix available, but most of the shells will be too large. There should be some in there that are small enough (2mm, 3mm), but I am not sure how many. I've been having double vision for about a year now and cannot sit and pick through them. :(

You may still want to look into a bag of saltwater substrate. I have bought backs of aragonite before with microscopic shells in it!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

CrabHappens

Post by CrabHappens » Mon May 14, 2018 8:47 am

I looked through my bag, I only have three 1-2 mm, the rest are about 4 or 5 mm but I have a shop I can check later today