Painted Shells

This is where you discuss shells for your hermit crabs. Not for selling/swapping shells, use Classified Ads for that.

Topic author
Princess R.

Painted Shells

Post by Princess R. » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:53 pm

I have heard that painted shells are not good, but is there a paint I can use that won't hurt the crabs?
I have 4 purple pinchers. Crush, Bubbles, Sheldon, Sandy, and little Angelo. And I love Jesus! He is the way, the truth and the life, and he knew what he was doing when he made hermit crabs!☺
-Ruth A. J. G.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Painted Shells

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:35 pm

Consider 'dying' the shells using crushed up berries? IMO, theres not really any paint thats safe as they tend to wear off after a while due to the heat/humidity....

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

RiNiKy506

Painted Shells

Post by RiNiKy506 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:38 pm

Painted shells are very controversial bc the non toxic paint to us, still may be toxic to them. I personally don’t use the painted shells but if you want to offer them to your crabs, they are your animals. If they pick them or not would be up to them. Forcing them into them and things that they go through to get to the pet stores is just unspeakable, I can’t stand the thought. They are your crabs though, I’m not trying to sound any type of way but you know what is best for your crabbies.

♡ Rod ♡ Salty ♡ Bob ♡ Squirt ♡ Crabina ♡
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers »-♡->

Topic author
Princess R.

Post by Princess R. » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:47 pm

No, I was just wondering if there was a way I could spruce up the tank safely, and also found a way to tell which hermit crab is which.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

I have 4 purple pinchers. Crush, Bubbles, Sheldon, Sandy, and little Angelo. And I love Jesus! He is the way, the truth and the life, and he knew what he was doing when he made hermit crabs!☺
-Ruth A. J. G.

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:48 pm

We observe our crabs and learn their personalities and attitudes to tell them apart

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

purplepincher

Post by purplepincher » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:42 am

mine look so different! salsa is bigger, acorn has the freindliest personality! mango is orange, and shadow is shy and white/purple.
I love my little Acorn! #besthermitcrabever
I also Love Jesus! My favorite food is doughnuts, my favorite drink is orange soda,
and my favorite color is gold! (I like shiny things)

I am also a Die hard Lego fan!

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:34 am

Princess R. wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:47 pm
No, I was just wondering if there was a way I could spruce up the tank safely, and also found a way to tell which hermit crab is which. Image

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
Once they start switching shells, even with a dot of paint, there's no way to know who's who. Unless you really know their personalities.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:00 pm

I just know mine by size now! Sonny has been larger than Cher since very shortly after I got them.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Princess R.

Post by Princess R. » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:34 am

well Angela and Bubbles are nearly identical, and I used to tell them apart with their painted shells.
-Ruth A. J. G.

scuttlecrusty22

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:45 am

I can tell my guys apart by their color and attitude.

:crabblush: :smile::
(Scuttle, Crusty) crabs, (Buster,Ruby) chihuahuas, (Bugs) goat, (Echo) betta fish (Skittles,Sky) parakeets

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life"

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed May 01, 2019 1:51 am

Princess R. wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:34 am
well Angela and Bubbles are nearly identical, and I used to tell them apart with their painted shells.
They can trade their shells, I've had it happen before!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

odelayheehoo

Post by odelayheehoo » Wed May 01, 2019 7:19 am

wodesorel wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 1:51 am
They can trade their shells, I've had it happen before!
I did too, it was so confusing when I noticed that two of my crabs were in each other's shells!
Keeper Since 2016
75G - 10PP

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Wed May 01, 2019 7:36 pm

Do the dotted patterns on their legs change with their molts or would they stay the same similar to our fingerprints? If they stay the same it may be possible to take close up photos of the patterns and keep records that way too.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities