First Time buying new

This is where you discuss shells for your hermit crabs. Not for selling/swapping shells, use Classified Ads for that.

Topic author
Crabby Fritos

First Time buying new

Post by Crabby Fritos » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:37 pm

Ok, this is my first time buying more shells and I have some questions.

Firstly: What is a good website or store at which to get them

Secondly: What brand shells should I buy and approximately how many. I have 3 small/medium crabbies.

crabby33

Re: First Time buying new

Post by crabby33 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:00 pm

This forum recommends 3-5 shells per crab. PP’s prefer turbos. Some prefer loose fitting shells while others like shells that fit just right. Mine prefer loose shells, where they can withdraw all the way in. An admin can correct me if I’m wrong but that’s about 5 shells for three crabs. 15 shells total.

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:12 am

Check out the link in my signature. There are several shell companies in the links section. My go to place is Naples Shell Company.

This is a link to the basic crab care guide. About halfway down is the area that talks about shells.
http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 0&t=119273

This is also the guide of what different species prefer and what shells to avoid.
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=92552

All of our crabs seem to love green turbos, and the tapestry turbos. The hardest part is picking the correct size shells. You need to know approximately what size shell openings your crabs are currently in. Then order openings 1/8" and 1/4" larger than what they are currently in. I will usually order at least two shells in each type and size.

Picking shells is a bit difficult the first time or two. I have read a good bit of posts on here where people placed orders and were excited to get their shells. When they finally got the shells a few days later they were all too big. Take your time, be sure you know what sizes your crabs are currently wearing and double check everything is correct.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
Crabby Fritos

Post by Crabby Fritos » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:51 pm

Thank you for the information. It has been of much use. I don't mean to be ungrateful, but do you also have a good website. I have looked on Amazon but as usual, it has not been very specific or helpful.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:40 pm

I have ordered from Naples Sea Shells online.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

hermiwormi

Post by hermiwormi » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:22 am

Naples, Florida Shells and Gifts, and Nautical Crush Trading have shells in bulk.

I've also gotten some from craft stores and I got my gold mouth turbos from a vacation we took the past summer. We went to a cave and in the gift shop were gold mouth turbos and delphinium shells that my baby crab, Siam used.

5 PPs: Koa, Moja, Siam, Chella, and Ozark

angelbearpuppy

Post by angelbearpuppy » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:45 pm

I recommend Naples as well
I have owned Hermit Crabs for 2 Years

I have 1 E named Monkey and 2 PP named Shy Guy and Little P

I also own 1 PP named Dory who stays in my classroom