How to remove eco-earth stains from shells?

This is where you discuss shells for your hermit crabs. Not for selling/swapping shells, use Classified Ads for that.

Topic author
Xenpurgisnachtt

How to remove eco-earth stains from shells?

Post by Xenpurgisnachtt » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:24 am

Title explains it pretty well, does anyone know how to remove eco-earth coloration stains from shells? I've tried basically everything at this point!

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: How to remove eco-earth stains from shells?

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:05 am

Once it's stained, unfortunately theres real no safe way for the crabs.

(Its also one of the reasons why many encourage not to use EE, since it does stain shells!)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: How to remove eco-earth stains from shells?

Post by wodesorel » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:17 am

Soaking in a bit of hydrogen peroxide is the only thing I can think of that might work, but I'm not sure if it would cause any damage to the finish of the shells. You might want to test one just to see. Peroxide is unstable and breaks apart into plain water extremely quickly, so it wouldn't leave any residue behind once the shells have been rinsed and soaked in water for a few minutes. It's commonly used in active aquariums to deal with unwanted algae blooms and stains.

Edited to add: commercial shells are bleached to remove smell and any organic bits left in them. It too will break down rapidly, and when soaked and rinsed a few times and allowed to dry will not leave residue. A final soak in heavily dechlored water is a way to be certain there is none left. Again, there could be damage done to the shells so a test is needed first.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram