Glass Shell

This is where you discuss shells for your hermit crabs. Not for selling/swapping shells, use Classified Ads for that.

Topic author
IcedPineapple

Glass Shell

Post by IcedPineapple » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:14 pm

Just for funsies, has anyone here bought those handblown glass shells? They're super pricey but so pretty and it's just plain neat how you can see inside the shell. Wondering if the crabs like them at all or if they're automatically too heavy or something? Just curious lolz

Xenocrab

Re: Glass Shell

Post by Xenocrab » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:09 pm

I haven't because it's not natural. I want the best for my crabs. They alter the inside of their shells to get the perfect fit for them. They chip it away and secrete fluids to get the shell just right. They can't do that with glass. Plus if they chip the glass and eat it, it could seriously harm them.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

Topic author
IcedPineapple

Post by IcedPineapple » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:13 pm

Xenocrab wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:09 pm
I haven't because it's not natural. I want the best for my crabs. They alter the inside of their shells to get the perfect fit for them. They chip it away and secrete fluids to get the shell just right. They can't do that with glass. Plus if they chip the glass and eat it, it could seriously harm them.

Oh that's a good point yeah

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:58 pm

Plus, they often retract into their shells to hide, so if they retract and still feel like they can be seen they may not be too happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:14 pm

That's another good point. So, in short, glass shells are a big no.

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:31 pm

My crabs are great at falling from the support beam in the middle of the tank, so I would be worried about the glass shell breaking. I have considered getting one just to put on a shelf in my room, however.
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Seasalt, & Elvis
Captive Bred PP = Randy
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:15 pm

Crabs know best, and it is extremely doubtful one would ever move into one willingly, so if you like the look get one for yourself or for decor!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:46 am

Xenocrab wrote:I haven't because it's not natural. I want the best for my crabs. They alter the inside of their shells to get the perfect fit for them. They chip it away and secrete fluids to get the shell just right. They can't do that with glass. Plus if they chip the glass and eat it, it could seriously harm them.

Personally, I doubt eating glass would harm the crabs, as counter intuitive as that might sound. Silica (aka sand) is very similar to glass. They eat all kinds of super hard rocks and stuff. Coral / shell can be razor sharp and the Hermes definitely pick at that from time to time. But your point about the fact that they cant mod the shell is definitely good! Would still be cool to offer one or two though!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:53 pm

I don't like them because they can't "hide" from predators.

When your defense mechanism is to hide and not be able to see something and for them not to see you, my opinion/assumption is that if the crabs can still see potential predators through the glass and predators can see them-their natural defense mechanisms are thrown out of whack and this could cause distress.

Also the glass shells tend to be heavier than many natural shells, and they aren't able to modify them, as stated above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk